Xenon Ionization Cross-Section & Debye Length

• Thread starter drag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Xenon
In summary, the speaker is looking for information on the ionisation cross-section and Debye length of Xenon, as well as precise formulas for electron free paths in Xenon plasma at the density and pressure of a typical Hall Effect thruster or ion beam thruster. They apologize for not providing further context and express gratitude for any help.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

This is not really a discussion thread, I just
wan'na ask a question and hope someone could
finally help me with this because I couldn't
find this info during the several months I
occassionaly tried to search for it (even
briefly studied a Hall Effect thruster thesis).

I need the ionisation cross-section and the Debye
lenght (for ion rich plasma) of Xenon. Also, precise
formulas of electron free paths in Xenon plasma
at the density and pressure of a typical HET or IBT
would be helpfull if you got'em (I have some formulas,
but without the above data they're not of much use and
they're pretty complex for me right now.)

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll probably get more help if you explain what the motivation is (and if it looks worthwhile) :) Maybe there are alternative methods, but who would know without an objective? Sorry I don't know what a HET or IBT is.

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out and asking your question. The ionization cross-section of Xenon is approximately 0.7 nanometers squared, which means that for every square nanometer of space, there will be 0.7 Xenon ions present. The Debye length for ion-rich plasma is a bit more complicated to calculate, as it depends on the density and temperature of the plasma. However, for a typical HET or IBT, the Debye length is usually in the range of a few millimeters to a few centimeters. As for the electron free paths in Xenon plasma, it can vary depending on the specific conditions, but typically ranges from a few micrometers to a few millimeters.

I hope this information helps you in your research. If you need more specific formulas or data, I would recommend reaching out to a plasma physics expert or conducting further research in scientific journals. Best of luck in your studies! Live long and prosper.

What is Xenon Ionization Cross-Section?

Xenon Ionization Cross-Section is a measure of the probability that a xenon atom will undergo ionization when it interacts with a particle or photon. It is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters, and is dependent on factors such as the energy of the incident particle or photon and the properties of the xenon atom.

How is Xenon Ionization Cross-Section used in research?

Xenon Ionization Cross-Section is commonly used in fields such as plasma physics and atomic and molecular physics to study the behavior of xenon atoms in various conditions. It can also be used to calculate the rate of ionization in a given system and to understand the interactions between particles and xenon atoms.

What is Debye Length?

Debye Length is a measure of the distance over which charged particles in a plasma can exert a significant force on each other. It is dependent on the density and temperature of the plasma, as well as the charge and mass of the particles. It is typically measured in units of length, such as meters.

What is the relationship between Xenon Ionization Cross-Section and Debye Length?

The Xenon Ionization Cross-Section and Debye Length are both important parameters in the study of plasmas. The Debye Length determines the distance at which charged particles can interact with each other, while the Xenon Ionization Cross-Section determines the likelihood of ionization occurring at that distance. Together, these parameters help researchers understand and model the behavior of plasmas.

How do researchers measure Xenon Ionization Cross-Section and Debye Length?

Xenon Ionization Cross-Section and Debye Length can be measured through experimental techniques such as laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy, electron impact ionization, and optical emission spectroscopy. These methods allow researchers to directly observe and measure the behavior of xenon atoms and charged particles in plasmas.