SD Logics Problems: Derivability, Inconsistency, Equivalence, and Validity

• Thread starter Kwiatkowski18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with questions on SD (sentential logic). They ask for someone to solve the problems for them as they do not have enough knowledge on the subject. The problems include proving a derivability claim, showing inconsistency in a set of sentences, proving equivalence of sentences, and validating an argument. It is mentioned that asking for answers to schoolwork is not allowed and it is suggested to show what work has been done so far for someone to give suggestions.
Kwiatkowski18
My teacher threw us a couple of questions on SD that I know hardly anything about. The first one one to come up with correct answers receives an additional 10% on our next paper. I would really like to answer them all myself, but I don't have the information about SD to do them as I have never taken a Phil course regarding Logics. So please, if anyone could solve these for me, that would be wicked.

Legend: >=horeshoe = is triplebar

1. Prove that the following derivability claim holds in SD.
{(t > a) & (~t > b), a > ~l} deriviation: l > b

2. SHow that the following set of sentences is inconsistent in SD.
{(a v ~c) > ~b), ~b = (q & ~q), ~c v a}

3. Show that the members of the following pair of sentences are equivalent in SD.
a = b ~a = ~b

4. Show that the following argument is valid in SD.
(b & (e v g))
(b & g) = h
(h > f) & ~e

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not post the same topic in more than one forum. We do not supply answers to schoolwork here. If you are having trouble solving a problem and show what you have done so far and where you are stuck, someone might give you suggestions on what you might do to try to solve it yourself.

I left your other thread open so that you can show what work you have done so far on each problem.

-----------------
f

1. To prove the derivability claim, we need to show that the conclusion, l > b, can be derived from the premises, {(t > a) & (~t > b), a > ~l}. Using the SD rule of hypothetical syllogism, we can combine the first two premises to get (t > b). Then, using the SD rule of disjunctive syllogism, we can combine this with the third premise, (a > ~l), to get (t > ~l). Finally, using the SD rule of contraposition, we can flip this statement to get (~l > t), and then combine it with the first premise, (~t > b), to get (~l > b). This shows that the conclusion, l > b, can be derived from the premises, and thus the derivability claim holds in SD.

2. To show that the set of sentences is inconsistent, we need to show that it is impossible for all of the statements to be true at the same time. Using the SD rule of hypothetical syllogism, we can combine the first two premises, {(a v ~c) > ~b) and ~b = (q & ~q)}, to get (a v ~c) > (q & ~q). Then, using the SD rule of disjunctive syllogism, we can combine this with the third premise, ~c v a, to get (q & ~q). However, this is a contradiction, as it is impossible for both q and ~q to be true at the same time. Therefore, the set of sentences is inconsistent in SD.

3. To show that the pair of sentences are equivalent, we need to show that they have the same truth value in all possible cases. Using the SD rule of contraposition, we can flip the first sentence, a = b, to get ~b = ~a. Then, using the SD rule of transposition, we can switch the two sides of the equation to get ~a = ~b. This shows that the two sentences have the same truth value in all possible cases, and thus they are equivalent in SD.

4. To show that the argument is valid, we need to show that the conclusion, f, follows logically from the premises, (b & (e v g)), (b & g) = h, and (h > f)

What is SD Logics Help?

SD Logics Help is a software tool designed to assist scientists with analyzing data and creating visualizations. It uses statistical methods and algorithms to help users gain insights and make informed decisions.

How does SD Logics Help work?

SD Logics Help uses a combination of statistical techniques and algorithms to analyze data and present meaningful visualizations. It allows users to input their data and then applies various methods to identify patterns and relationships within the data.

What types of data can be analyzed with SD Logics Help?

SD Logics Help can analyze various types of data, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. It can also handle both structured and unstructured data.

Is SD Logics Help suitable for all types of research?

SD Logics Help is a versatile tool that can be used in various research fields, such as biology, chemistry, psychology, and more. However, it is important to note that its effectiveness may vary depending on the specific research question and data being analyzed.

Can SD Logics Help be used by non-scientists?

While SD Logics Help was primarily designed for scientists, it can be used by anyone who needs to analyze data and create visualizations. However, some basic understanding of statistics and data analysis is recommended for optimal use of the tool.