Solving the Mass Sliding Problem with Increased Height h

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a mass to slide a distance d from a resting position, with a height h of 5 and theta(angle) at 30 degrees. The main question is how to calculate the height when increased by a factor of 4, which can be done by multiplying the original value by 4. The rest of the problem can be solved using the formula g*sin*theta and d=1/2at^2.
kirste
My problem states, 2s is required for the mass to slide the distance d from a resting position. If the height h is increased by a factor of 4, while holding theta(angle) at 30, how long does it take the mass to slide the new distance d from rest?

height h =5.

My main question is (don't laugh please) When increasing by a factor of 4, is my height now 6.25? I know how to do the rest of the problem. g*sin*theta, then to d=1/2at^2, but I seem to have completely lost my brain regarding that part of the problem:)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
An increase by a factor of 4 means that you multiply the original value by 4.

P.S. The Tutorial Sub-Forum is not for posting homework questions. Please post homework questions in the appropriate forum next time :smile:

for your question! It is completely understandable to have doubts or confusion when approaching a scientific problem. I am here to help clarify any misunderstandings and guide you through the process.

Firstly, let's address the issue of the height. When the height is increased by a factor of 4, it means that the new height is four times the original height. In this case, if the original height was h=5, then the new height would be 4*5=20. So, the new height is not 6.25, it is 20.

Now, let's move on to the problem at hand. The original problem states that it takes 2 seconds for the mass to slide the distance d from rest, with a height of h=5 and an angle of theta=30 degrees. The formula for this would be d=1/2*g*sin(theta)*t^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Now, if we increase the height by a factor of 4, the new height would be h=20. The question is asking for the time it would take for the mass to slide the same distance d from rest, with the new height of h=20 and the same angle of theta=30 degrees. The formula would still be the same: d=1/2*g*sin(theta)*t^2.

To solve for t, we can rearrange the formula to t=sqrt(2d/(g*sin(theta))). Plugging in the values, we get t=sqrt(2*1/(9.8*sin(30)))=0.253 seconds.

In summary, when the height is increased by a factor of 4, the new height is four times the original height. The time it takes for the mass to slide the distance d from rest with the new height would be 0.253 seconds. I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Good luck with your problem-solving!

What is the mass sliding problem?

The mass sliding problem refers to the difficulty in moving a large or heavy object from one location to another, due to its weight and the friction between the object and the surface it is resting on.

How does increased height h help solve the mass sliding problem?

Increasing the height h of an object can reduce the friction between the object and the surface it is resting on. This is because at higher heights, there is less surface area in contact with the object, resulting in less frictional force.

What factors should be considered when solving the mass sliding problem with increased height h?

When using increased height h to solve the mass sliding problem, it is important to consider the weight and shape of the object, as well as the surface it will be resting on. Additionally, the force needed to move the object, the available resources, and safety measures should be taken into account.

Are there any limitations to using increased height h to solve the mass sliding problem?

Yes, there are limitations to using increased height h to solve the mass sliding problem. If the object is too large or heavy, increasing the height may not be enough to reduce the friction and make it easier to move. Additionally, using increased height may not be a feasible solution in certain environments or situations.

What other methods can be used to solve the mass sliding problem?

Aside from using increased height h, other methods that can be used to solve the mass sliding problem include applying lubricants or reducing the weight of the object. Additionally, using mechanical devices such as pulleys or levers can also help to move heavy objects with less effort.