Are There Any TV Shows or Movies with Outrageous Physics?

• Thread starter Grimace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a High School Physics teacher from Christchurch, New Zealand is seeking suggestions for ads, movies, or TV programs with over-the-top scenarios involving the conservation of energy. The teacher has already incorporated a Dodge Nitro ad into their lesson on kinematics and plans to use the bus jump scene from Speed in the future. Other members of the forum have recommended websites such as "Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics" and "Bad Astronomy" for more examples.
Grimace
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I am a High School Physics teacher in Christchurch, New Zealand.
I recently got my students to do some kinematics problems centered around a Dodge Nitro add where are car gets blown into the air.
I am wondering if anyone could point me to any ads / movies/ tv programs with ridiculous stuff happening. Thinking along the lines of conservation of energy (elastic, kinetic or gravitational) for this round. Saving the bus jump scene from Speed for when we do kinematics.
Regards,
Grimace

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Grimace.
Please feel free to pop down to General Discussion and partake of my new 'More movie ****-ups' thread. The more, the merrier. :biggrin:

1. What are some examples of ridiculous physics in TV shows?

Some examples include characters surviving impossible falls, objects defying gravity, and unrealistic explosions or stunts.

2. Why do TV shows often use ridiculous physics?

TV shows often use ridiculous physics for dramatic effect and to capture the audience's attention. It can also be used to create suspense and make the storyline more exciting.

3. How does the use of ridiculous physics affect viewers' perception of science?

The use of ridiculous physics in TV shows can lead viewers to have a distorted perception of science and what is physically possible. This can create misconceptions and misunderstandings about real-world physics.

4. Are there any negative consequences of using ridiculous physics in TV shows?

Yes, the use of ridiculous physics can perpetuate false information and contribute to the spread of misinformation. It can also give viewers unrealistic expectations and lead to disappointment in real-world scenarios.

5. How can TV shows balance entertainment with accurate physics?

TV shows can consult with science advisors and conduct research to ensure that the use of physics in their show is accurate. They can also use special effects and creative storytelling to make scenes exciting without completely disregarding the laws of physics.