Designing an Ultrasonic Range Finder with a PIC Microcontroller

In summary, the circuit boosts the current to the piezo element, and the output voltage swings between -9V and 9V. There are slight timing mismatches between the two inverters, but they should be in the same IC package and the mismatch should not be a problem.
counterstruck
Hi

I am designing a ultrasonic range finder. I am part of design group with the challenge of building a robot that can find its way through a known course.

I found some circuits avaliable on the net. There is a section on the transmitter circuitry that confuses me. I am using microcontroller to generate a 0 - 5V 40KHz burst of pulses. I want to boost the signal to have a larger voltage swing, and current drive to achieve larger power transmission hence further distance. I can amplify the voltage to 0 - 9V, but now how do I achieve a -9V to 9V swing?

The circuit uses hex inverters. Doesn't a hex inverter represent a logic 0 as ground? The explanation given about why two hex inverters are in parallel is still not clear to me.

I am using a PIC microcontroller, which drives out about 20mA. I want to achieve the max power transmission for a 40KHz piezo transducer. For current amplification, how does one design a current amplify for a -9V to 9V signal?

Attachments

• inverters.JPG
    inverters.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 464
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved to EE forum. Welcome to the PF, counterstruck.

The paralleling of the inverters is meant to boost the current driven into the piezo element. With two inverters in parallel, you get about twice the drive current. There will be slight mismatches in timing for the two parallel gates, but if they are in the same IC package, the mismatch shouldn't make much difference.

Since each side of the piezo is being driven with a 9Vpp signal, and since the two signals are out of phase, that results in a 2x9Vpp = 18Vpp differential signal being driven across the piezo element.

BTW, can you tell us a little about safety considerations for medium-power ultrasound transmissions near humans? What power levels and duty cycles are considered "safe"? That should be a part of your research and report and construction -- making sure that you are building something that is safe to operate around unprotected humans. (Or at least understanding what precautions and protections you should use if you need to use higher power levels in your ultrasound ranging devices.)

I would suggest exploring different options for voltage amplification and current amplification in order to achieve the desired -9V to 9V swing. One option could be to use a power amplifier circuit that is specifically designed for ultrasonic signals. Additionally, you may want to consider using a separate power supply for the amplification circuit to avoid any limitations from the microcontroller's output capabilities.

In terms of the hex inverters, you are correct that they represent a logic 0 as ground. However, in this circuit, they are being used as amplifiers rather than logic gates. The explanation given about why two hex inverters are in parallel may be related to achieving a higher current output. You may want to consult with an expert in circuit design or do further research on how to use hex inverters as amplifiers in this context.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the design and components used in an ultrasonic range finder in order to achieve the desired performance. I would suggest consulting with experienced engineers or doing further research to ensure the best design for your specific application.

1. How does an ultrasonic range finder work?

An ultrasonic range finder uses high frequency sound waves to measure the distance between the sensor and an object. The sensor emits a sound wave, which then bounces off the object and is picked up by the sensor again. By measuring the time it takes for the sound wave to travel back and forth, the distance can be calculated.

2. What is a PIC microcontroller and why is it used in this project?

A PIC microcontroller is a small computer chip that can be programmed to control electronic devices. It is used in this project to control the ultrasonic sensor and process the data it receives. It is a commonly used microcontroller in DIY electronics projects due to its low cost and versatility.

3. What components are needed to build an ultrasonic range finder with a PIC microcontroller?

The main components needed are a PIC microcontroller, an ultrasonic sensor, a power source, and supporting electronic components such as resistors and capacitors. Additional components such as a display or motor may be added depending on the specific design and purpose of the range finder.

4. How accurate is an ultrasonic range finder with a PIC microcontroller?

The accuracy of the range finder depends on the quality of the components used and the programming of the microcontroller. Generally, it can achieve an accuracy of 1-2 centimeters. However, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the accuracy.

5. Can an ultrasonic range finder with a PIC microcontroller be used for other applications?

Yes, an ultrasonic range finder with a PIC microcontroller can be used for various applications, such as measuring liquid levels, detecting objects for obstacle avoidance, and even in robotics for navigation. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for DIY projects and industrial applications.