Highlighting Text in Linux - Solutions & Tips

• Thread starter varunag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, The conversation discusses the issue of highlighting text in PDFs on Linux. The speaker mentions that they have not been able to find a software for this purpose, except for using GIMP which is not very convenient. However, they have found a software called 'Xournal' which can be used for annotating PDFs and has a highlighting feature. They also mention other software options like ghostscript, pdfedit, and pdfstudio.
varunag
hi,

i am using linux these days. i am facing with a problem regarding highlighting text in any pdf. In windows, we can do this using Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader(there may be more softwares). But I couldn't find any software which could do this in linux.
One of my friends suggested me that I can use GIMP to edit the PDF like an image. But this method is not very friendly as I can't read the pdf simulaneously.

regards,

Computer science news on Phys.org
i just posted the question... and i found one answer myself :)

there is a software 'Xournal', which can be used for annotating pdf. i just checked the highlighting feature, and it works fine.

I'm using ubuntu, and installed xournal using the repositories.

hope this information might help some of you... and if you come to know about some other softwares, please share the info, it is always better to have alternatives...

regards,

ghostscript can read a pdf (as well as postscript) and output the raw text for the whole document.

how about if the pdf has symbols(those beautiful mathematics symbols)?

Noticed I've got pdfedit & pdfstudio which can do highlighting. This is one of those issues where had planned to fight acrobat pro with wine but apparently that need didn't materialize after got those 2 (the bloated acrobat reader is actually "drag enough" :rolleyes: ).

What is the purpose of highlighting text in Linux?

Highlighting text in Linux allows users to easily identify and locate specific information within a file or document. It can also be used to emphasize important information or to mark sections for future reference.

How can I highlight text in Linux?

Text can be highlighted in Linux using a variety of methods, such as using the mouse to select the text and right-clicking to choose the "Highlight" option, or using keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+Shift+H. Some text editors also have a dedicated highlight tool in their toolbar.

Can I customize the color of highlighted text in Linux?

Yes, many Linux text editors and terminal emulators allow users to customize the color of highlighted text. This can be done through the settings or preferences menu of the specific program being used.

Is there a way to highlight multiple lines of text at once in Linux?

Yes, in most Linux text editors, users can hold down the Ctrl key while selecting multiple lines of text with their mouse. This will highlight all of the selected lines simultaneously.

Are there any keyboard shortcuts for highlighting text in Linux?

Yes, as mentioned before, some text editors have built-in keyboard shortcuts for highlighting text. Users can also create custom keyboard shortcuts through their system settings to make highlighting even more efficient.