Calculating Average Velocity from Position vs Time Graph

In summary: Just remember to check for any rounding on your inputs and outputs. In summary, the conversation discussed finding the average velocity of a particle moving along the x-axis during various time intervals. The formula used was v_{\rm ave} = \frac{x_2-x_1}{t_2-t_1}. The attempted solution resulted in an answer of 5 m/s for the first time interval, but after correcting for rounding, the correct answer was determined to be 1.25 m/s.
chanv1

Homework Statement

The position versus time for a certain particle moving along the x-axis is shown in the figure below.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6101/physicswg4.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Find the average velocity in the following time intervals.

(a) 0 to 4 s
_____ m/s

(b) 0 to 5 s
_____ m/s

(c) 4 s to 5 s
_____ m/s

(d) 5 s to 7 s
______ m/s

(e) 0 to 8 s
______ m/s

Homework Equations

I thought the equation to use would be x(t_2) - x(t_1) / t_2 - t_1

The Attempt at a Solution

After following that equation, I got 5 m/s for (a), but it was incorrect.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chanv1,

chanv1 said:

Homework Statement

The position versus time for a certain particle moving along the x-axis is shown in the figure below.

Find the average velocity in the following time intervals.

(a) 0 to 4 s
_____ m/s

(b) 0 to 5 s
_____ m/s

(c) 4 s to 5 s
_____ m/s

(d) 5 s to 7 s
______ m/s

(e) 0 to 8 s
______ m/s

Homework Equations

I thought the equation to use would be x(t_2) - x(t_1) / t_2 - t_1

The Attempt at a Solution

After following that equation, I got 5 m/s for (a), but it was incorrect.

Your equation looks right to me; but I am not getting 5m/s for part a. What numbers are you plugging into your equation (for x(t2), x(t1), t2, and t1) to get 5m/s?

I did

5(4) - 0(0) / 4-0 = 5

What answer did you come up with? and would you please show me how?

chanv1 said:
I did

5(4) - 0(0) / 4-0 = 5

What answer did you come up with? and would you please show me how?

I think you are visualizing the formula incorrectly. It is:

[tex]
v_{\rm ave} = \frac{x(t_2)-x(t_1)}{t_2-t_1}
[/tex]
and [itex]x(t_2)[/itex] is not x times [itex]t_2[/itex]. So it might be better to write it as:

[tex]
v_{\rm ave} = \frac{x_2-x_1}{t_2-t_1}
[/tex]

because [itex]x(t_2)[/itex] means the position x at time [itex]t_2[/itex], so [itex]x(t_2)=x(4 \mbox{ seconds}) = 5\mbox{ meters}[/itex]

Yeah, I know. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong ... please walk me through this?

Isn't the distance for 4s, 5? so I would 5 * 4 = 20 and so on?

What should I be seeing instead?

I seem to be having some computer problems, so I'll repost the edits I made in my last post in case they just are not showing up.

it might be better to write the average velocity formula as:

[tex]
v_{\rm ave} = \frac{x_2-x_1}{t_2-t_1}
[/tex]

because [itex]x(t_2)[/itex] means the position x at time [itex]t_2[/itex], so [itex]x(t_2)=x(4 \mbox{ seconds}) = 5\mbox{ meters}[/itex], not 20.

so would the answer then be 1.25 or 1.3?

but that answer was incorrect too.

chanv1 said:
so would the answer then be 1.25 or 1.3?

but that answer was incorrect too.

Unless I'm just not seeing something, it looks like 1.25m/s is the correct answer to me. (Since you mentioned 1.3m/s, did you try 1.25 or did you input the rounded answer?)

yeah, I rounded the number. Silly me!
Thanks for all your help!

Sure, glad to help!

What is a position vs time problem?

A position vs time problem is a type of problem in physics that involves describing the motion of an object over a period of time. It typically involves plotting the position of an object on a graph as a function of time.

What are the key variables in a position vs time problem?

The key variables in a position vs time problem are position (x or y), time (t), and velocity (v). These variables are used to describe the motion of an object and can be used to calculate other quantities such as acceleration.

How do you calculate average velocity in a position vs time problem?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (Δx) by the change in time (Δt). This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt. It is important to note that this is the average velocity over a period of time, and the instantaneous velocity at a specific point can be calculated using calculus.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in a position vs time problem?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that represents the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In a position vs time problem, speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while velocity takes into account the direction of motion.

What are some real-life examples of a position vs time problem?

Examples of position vs time problems can be found in many areas of science and everyday life. A car traveling along a highway, a ball being thrown and caught, and a person walking in a park are all examples of situations that can be described using a position vs time graph. Other examples include the motion of planets in our solar system and the trajectory of a rocket during launch.