Help Me! Win 98 CD Disaster - Win XP OS Not Booting

• Thread starter WARLORDTF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Os
In summary, the Windows 98 CD was left in the laptop during a restart and some of the setup completed, but the computer said it wasn't a valid system disk and wouldn't load Win XP. I tried to boot from the install disk under the recovery console, but it brought up boot MS-DOS using the A: drive as the subject. I fixed it by installing WIN XP onto an external drive and the mbr and the bootcfg sorted themselves out.
WARLORDTF
HEEELP!
I was burning a Win 98 CD (Legitimately) and unfortunately i left the cd in my laptop during restart...
most of the setup had completed but i fortunately canceled it before it could format the drive and install Win 98.
It detected my windows XP home Edition SP2 OEM Edition as a "non MS-DOS OS" and as I took the cd out the computer cannot boot from HD. Claiming 'Not A Valid System Disk, Please insert and press any key to continue' OWTTE. Win XP Wont load, Linux Live CD Will.
I tried my install disk under the recovery console but it brought up boot MS-DOS using A: as the subject Drive.
So I assume that it has replace the D: Drive To A: and Caused My OS not To Work. I Have important files on my computer, and many programs I cannot afford to lose these.
Please can you help?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Hello WARLORDTF,

most likely the Windows 98 changed the master boot record(MBR) on the hard drive. This is the place on the hard drive where the BIOS assumes is the starting point. In the MRB would normally be a boot loader to point your computer to the OS you use.
To fix this for windows XP try this:

Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the recovery console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password (if you have one).
Type "fixmbr" (no quotes) once you are in the recovery console and confirm("Y").
Take out CD :)
Then reboot.

I got impatient and tried to reinstall windows in a different directory I found out how the main (Normally) C: drive became the mysterious D: Drive, and deleted the partition using the recovery console. But now i have two versions of windows on one drive one on C:/WINDOWS and the other on C:/WINDOWS2 However I have not completed the installation process as i currently don't have a working key (As the last installation was the last time i could use it). i tried FIXMBR and it worked but didn't make the Boot Correct. Unfortunately I think i made it worse. :(

If I were you at this point -- I would Boot off the CD -- then I would get all of the important info backed up somewhere -- Because the more you mess with it -- the more you are possibly overwriting the stuff that was on there.

I've fixed it!
i installed WIN XP onto an external Drive and the mbr and the bootcfg must have just sorted itself out.
Thanks all you guys for helping!

1. What caused my Win XP OS to not boot after installing a Win 98 CD?

It is likely that the installation of the Win 98 CD has overwritten or corrupted critical system files needed for the Win XP OS to boot. This can happen when installing an older operating system on top of a newer one.

2. Can I still recover my Win XP OS without losing my files?

Yes, it is possible to repair the Win XP OS without losing your files. You can try using the Windows Recovery Console or booting from a Win XP installation disc to access the repair function.

3. Will reinstalling Win XP fix the issue?

Reinstalling Win XP may fix the issue, but it will also delete all of your files and programs. It is recommended to try repairing the OS first before resorting to a reinstallation.

4. How can I prevent this issue from happening again?

To prevent this issue from happening again, it is important to always install operating systems in the correct order (i.e. install the oldest operating system first). Additionally, make sure to back up your important files regularly to avoid losing them in case of any system issues.

5. Is it possible to use both Win 98 and Win XP on the same computer?

Yes, it is possible to dual boot both Win 98 and Win XP on the same computer. However, it is important to properly partition your hard drive and install the operating systems in the correct order to avoid any conflicts or issues.