Calculating Ground State Energy for Triple Ionized Beryllium

In summary, the task is to calculate the energy of an electron in the ground state of triple ionized beryllium with atomic number Z=4. Using the equation -Z²(13.6)/n², and taking into account the triple ionization and the ground state of n=1, the correct answer is found to be -24.18. However, this equation does not account for high Z and N or electron-electron interaction. By considering a +4e core and one -1e electron in the Bohr model, the correct answer can be obtained. The problem has been successfully solved with the help of Sjorris.
PeterWarrick9

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy of the electron in the ground state of triple ionized beryllium, which has an atomic number Z = 4.

Homework Equations

-Z2 (13.6)
N2

The Attempt at a Solution

Z=4 as given and it is tripled so our N=3. We throw our numbers in there and we should have -(16)(13.6). Take that product and divide it by 9. I got an answer of -24.18, but I am incorrect.

Unfortunately, I do not have my textbook with me right now so I might have the equation all wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a hint or a good website to learn from.

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{m_e Z^2 e^4}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 2 \hbar^2}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

Z=4 is correct, however the electron is in the ground state, so n=1.
The triple ionized means that the normally neutrally charged beryllium atom now has a +3e charge, so the situation is idealized to a +4e core (Z=4) with just one -1e electron in it's orbit, obviously being in the ground state (n=1).
This is because the equation you gave doesn't hold for high Z, high N and disregards electron-electron interaction, since the Bohr model (the equation is an extrapolated result of the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom) doesn't properly account for these kind of interactions.
I'm not completing the calculation because I don't feel like it, but I'm fairly positive that you'll arrive at the correct answer.

Sjorris, I would just like to THANK YOU! I succesfully solved my problem because of your help.

I really appreciate your help.

THANKS! again

Happy Holidays

1. What is the ground state of an atom?

The ground state of an atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy within an atom. This means that the electron is in its most stable and lowest energy configuration.

2. How is the ground state energy of an electron determined?

The ground state energy of an electron is determined by the quantum numbers associated with the electron's energy level. These include the principle quantum number, angular momentum quantum number, and magnetic quantum number.

3. What is the relationship between ground state energy and excited state energy?

The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy, while the excited state energy is any higher energy level that an electron can occupy. Excited state energy levels are temporary and unstable, and electrons will eventually return to the ground state.

4. How does the ground state energy affect the chemical properties of an element?

The ground state energy of an element determines its reactivity and chemical properties. Atoms with low ground state energy levels are more stable and less reactive, while atoms with high ground state energy levels are more reactive and likely to form chemical bonds with other atoms.

5. Can the ground state energy of an element change?

Yes, the ground state energy of an element can change through various processes such as absorption of energy, collisions with other particles, or exposure to high temperatures. However, the ground state energy is always the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy in a stable state.