QFT, QED for condensed matter physics

In summary, the speaker wants to gain a basic understanding of QED and quantum forces, specifically the Casimir force, in relation to solid state devices. They are an undergraduate student with a background in quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics, and are currently working on plasmonics and photonic crystals. They are asking for suggestions on which part of QFT to focus on and which books to use, and the suggestion is to search for texts at the library, with a specific recommendation for "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" by Aitchison.
xmavidis
I don't have the time now to study QFT in depth but I need some basic knowledge about QED and quantum forces (like casimir). I want to study the role of casimir force to solid state devices (photonic and plasmonic devices).

Which part of QFT is needed to study for now and which books are going to help me for this purpose?

I am an undergraduate (advanced courses taken: quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics and solid state physics). I work on plasmonics and photonic crystals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you enroll in a QFT class or just sit in the lectures? You could try Gauge Theories in Particle Physics by Aitchison. That book is more elementary than the standard Peskin text in QFT. You might want to find text specifically for solid states physics though.

My suggestion is to just go the the library and search for QFT texts. There are bound to be some that fits your needs.

The study of QFT and QED is essential for understanding the behavior of particles and forces in condensed matter physics. In particular, the Casimir force, which arises from the quantum fluctuations of the electromagnetic field between two closely spaced objects, plays a crucial role in the behavior of solid state devices.

To begin studying QFT for condensed matter physics, I would recommend focusing on the basics of quantum field theory, such as the quantization of fields and Feynman diagrams. A good introductory book for this purpose is "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell.

To understand QED, I would suggest reading "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Richard Feynman. This classic text provides a clear and intuitive explanation of the theory, and also includes discussions on the Casimir force.

For a more in-depth understanding of the Casimir force in solid state devices, I would recommend "Casimir Physics" by V. M. Mostepanenko and N. N. Trunov. This book covers both theoretical and experimental aspects of the Casimir force, with a focus on its applications in condensed matter systems.

As an undergraduate, it is also important to continue building a strong foundation in quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics. These subjects are the building blocks for understanding QFT and QED, and will be essential for your future studies in plasmonics and photonic crystals.

Overall, studying QFT and QED for condensed matter physics can be a challenging but rewarding endeavor. I encourage you to continue your studies and seek guidance from your professors and colleagues as you delve into these fascinating topics. Best of luck in your research!

1. What is the difference between QFT and QED?

QFT, or Quantum Field Theory, is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the interactions of subatomic particles. QED, or Quantum Electrodynamics, is a specific example of QFT that focuses on the interactions of particles with electromagnetic fields.

2. How is QFT used in condensed matter physics?

QFT is used in condensed matter physics to study the behavior of many-particle systems, such as solids and liquids. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding how particles interact with each other and with their surrounding environment.

3. What are some applications of QFT and QED in condensed matter physics?

QFT and QED have many applications in condensed matter physics, including understanding the behavior of superconductors, topological insulators, and other exotic materials. They are also used to study the collective behavior of particles in systems like magnets and fluids.

4. How does QFT differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while QFT is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while QFT takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Additionally, QFT includes the concept of quantum fields, which do not exist in classical mechanics.

5. What are some current challenges in using QFT and QED for condensed matter physics?

One of the main challenges is to develop more accurate and efficient computational methods for solving QFT and QED equations, as they can become extremely complex for large systems. Another challenge is to extend these theories to include other forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, which are not included in QED. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand and control the effects of quantum entanglement in condensed matter systems.