How bad does a community college Engineer Technician diploma look to empoyers?

In summary, an "Engineer Technician" diploma from a community college will not look good to potential employers. It depends upon what you want your diploma for.
Raizy
How bad does a community college "Engineer Technician" diploma look to empoyers?

I'm going for a 3-year "Fake" engineer program (Technology) labeled as an "Advanced Diploma" - whatever that means, and I was just wondering if I'll be kind of screwed over trying to land a job since employers would rather look for someone who has a Bachelors.

Physics news on Phys.org

It depends upon what you want your diploma for. Do you want to be a technician or an engineer? Why do you call it a "Fake" engineer program? Why not call it what it is, an engineering technician program? There also are 3 year (@ 12 months per year = 4 academic years) engineering technician programs that give you a BSET or BEET instead of a diploma.

You will not be able to get an engineering job with a tech degree. However since they are usually paid on an hourly basis, due to shift differentials and overtime, techs frequently make more then the salaried engineers you would be working with.

No, I'm not expecting to do engineering work. So far, what I've gathered is that I'll be working for an engineer "making their plans work", like repairing robot arms or something, or re-configuring things. I was just thinking that if an employer was browsing through the resumes, that they will probably get someone with a Bachelors in Engineering to do a technician's or technologist's work and completely ignore me.

Also I'm a bit confused about this diploma. The 2 years is labeled "Electro-Mechanical Engineering technician" and the 3-years is labeled "Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology". But you see, isn't there a bachelors in "Engineering Technology" available at universities which takes 4 years to complete as opposed to 3?

There's nothing wrong with that kind of work. It provides valuable assistance to engineers. I do think you'd be ahead with a BSET or BEET instead of a diploma. Unfortunately I think some engineers and managers do have the idea that it is a "fake" engineering degree, perhaps because some engineering technicians have tried to promote themselves as engineers. I've worked with some very fine engineering techs.

Most places where I've worked the engineers were expected to be their own technicians and build and test their own circuits. One place however had a team of technicians that I could use to build and test circuits. It was amazing how much more I was able to accomplish when all I had to worry about was what tests to perform and doing the statistical analysis on the results.

I'll have to transfer to a university to get a bachelors then. Hopefully, I won't have to start from first year, if I do then forget about it. I'll be too much of a burden to my parents.

lol this is what happens if you were an ignorant teenager.

Why would an employer looking for an engineering technician/technologist pass over someone qualified for the position? If someone with an engineering bachelors is applying for a technololgy position they are likely overqualified.

I did a quick half-*** search on google about which colleges or universities in my area offer a Bachelors in Eng. Technology and it seems "Electromechanical" or Robotics Eng. Technology are rarely offered.

I'm kind of worried because on BLS.gov the job growth for this job is 3% (but maybe it's because there are only like about 1/5th of Robotic technicians compared to the other popular Eng. technology disciplines?? I don't know...). I will probably switch over to Electronics or Mechanical Eng. Tech after my first year unless I manage to find schools that offer a Bachelors of Technology in robotics.

I also heard (from this forum) about someone mentioning Mechanical Engineering is starting to become obsolete, can anyone elaborate on that?

Yes, that's probably true. You aren't going to find academic programs in every field. What you really should be looking for is a background that can easily be applied to your field and a personal academic history that shows you're up to the job.

From what little I know of mechanical engineering I know that it's far from becoming obsolete.

Hmm I made a kinda big choice. I'm going to decline my offer and go to an adult education center to get my 4U courses. It'll take another 8 or so months I think to get all the 6 4U courses required by the university.

Last edited:

1. How important is the reputation of a community college for an Engineer Technician diploma?

The reputation of a community college can vary depending on the program and the individual school. Some community colleges have a good reputation for their engineering technician programs while others may not be as well-known. However, employers tend to focus more on the skills and knowledge gained in the program rather than the reputation of the school.

2. Will employers look down upon a community college Engineer Technician diploma?

No, most employers do not look down upon a community college diploma. In fact, many community colleges have strong partnerships with local industries and employers and their programs are designed to meet the needs of the job market. As long as the program is accredited and the student has acquired the necessary skills and knowledge, the diploma will hold weight with employers.

3. How does a community college Engineer Technician diploma compare to a university degree?

A community college diploma may not hold the same weight as a university degree in terms of prestige or career advancement opportunities. However, community college programs often provide hands-on, practical training that can be valuable in the workplace. It ultimately depends on the specific job requirements and the skills and knowledge gained in the program.

4. Are there any advantages to getting an Engineer Technician diploma from a community college?

Yes, there are several advantages to getting an Engineer Technician diploma from a community college. These programs are often more affordable and offer more flexibility in terms of scheduling and location. Additionally, community colleges have close partnerships with local industries and employers, providing students with valuable networking opportunities and potential job opportunities.

5. Will employers recognize a community college Engineer Technician diploma from a different state or country?

Employers generally recognize community college diplomas from different states or countries as long as the program is accredited. However, it is always a good idea to research the job market and employer preferences in the specific location where you are planning to work. Some employers may have a preference for local community colleges, while others may value a diverse educational background.