Quantum Entanglement: Beginner's Guide to Distances & Discovery

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and how it is known to occur instantaneously. The EPR paradox, proposed by Einstein in the 1930s, challenges the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and suggests that quantum mechanics is local. The main questions revolve around how we know that entanglement effects occur instantaneously and the limitations of testing distance. While the maximum distance tested so far is on the order of 10s of kilometers, it is possible that a corner mirror on the moon could be used for a Bell test to cross a half million miles. However, the low rate of photon collection on the moon may make this unlikely.
hurricane89
i was watching a video on this and supposedly if an electron was on the other side of the universe it would response instantly to another electron moving.. this didnt make any sense at all because it was spoken as knowledge when there's no way that could be known... so can someone please clarify with me since I am a beginner and confused what's knowns about quantum entanglement and how its known? the mains things I am not sure about are the distances which it takes place on and how it was figured out. answers = much appreciation

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing is that in the 1930's Einstein proposed a thought experiment, through which he claimed that the Heisenberg uncertainty relation can be denied. His argument was on the grounds of assuming that QM is local.
This is actually called the EPR paradox, you can check it on wikipedia or anywhere else.

I think his question was more related to how we know that entanglement effects happen instantaneously. Do we know that? Or is it still theory?
Sure, we can test with an experiment (two particles, one on the other side of the world) whether the effect is faster than light or not (I thought it was verified that it was indeed faster than light?) but there is no way we can verify that it is indeed instantaneous... Can we?

Nick89 said:
I think his question was more related to how we know that entanglement effects happen instantaneously. Do we know that? Or is it still theory?
Sure, we can test with an experiment (two particles, one on the other side of the world) whether the effect is faster than light or not (I thought it was verified that it was indeed faster than light?) but there is no way we can verify that it is indeed instantaneous... Can we?

The effect you are speaking of has been shown to occur at least 10,000 times the speed of light. It might be instantaneous, that is the presumption, and I would expect this lower limit to increase with future experiments.

As to the distance, so far the maximum distance it has been tested over is on the order of 10s of kilometers. The size of the planet is a limiting factor as it will be difficult to go past that. On the other hand... if I remember correctly, there is a corner mirror on the moon. I wonder if that could be used to do a Bell test that would cross a half million miles?

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
On the other hand... if I remember correctly, there is a corner mirror on the moon. I wonder if that could be used to do a Bell test that would cross a half million miles?

There is such a mirror on the moon, but using it for a Bell test looks to be pretty unlikely. From Wikipedia on retroflectors:

"Even under good viewing conditions, only a single reflected photon is received every few seconds. This makes the job of filtering laser-generated photons from naturally-occurring photons challenging..."

Since a Bell test only produces entangled pairs on the order of hundreds per second (+/- a few orders depending on the setup), while the intensity of a normal laser (the kind referred to above) is well over a million times brighter, that might make it nearly impossible to collect enough photons to do a good test. You might need a million seconds (over a month considering the moon is only visible at certain times) to collect one. Oh well...

Last edited:

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their states are intertwined. This means that if one particle is observed or measured, the state of the other particle will be instantly affected, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It could also potentially be used for teleportation and developing more accurate sensors.

4. Is quantum entanglement limited by distance?

No, quantum entanglement is not limited by distance. The entangled particles will remain connected, regardless of how far apart they are. However, the effects of entanglement may become weaker over larger distances.

5. How was quantum entanglement discovered?

Quantum entanglement was first proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. It was later experimentally confirmed by physicist John Bell in 1964, and has since been studied and used in various experiments and applications in quantum physics.