Fourier transform of rectangular pulse (Waves)

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of F(w) in terms of f(t) and the correct equation for F(w) as a function of w. There is a discrepancy between the given definition and the solution, which is clarified by understanding the integration boundaries and the variable being integrated with respect to.
tigger88

Homework Statement

F(w) is the Fourier transform of f(t). Write down the equation for F(w) in terms of f(t).
A rectangular pulse has height H and total length t0 in time. Show that as a function of w, the amplitude density is propertional to sinc(wt0/2).

Homework Equations

F(w) = integral from -infinity to +infinity of: f(t)exp(-iwt)dw

The Attempt at a Solution

integral from -t0/2 to +t0/2 of: h*exp(-iwt)dw

I have access to the solution to this problem, which says that it should be:
integral from -t0/2 to +t0/2 of: h*exp(-iwt)dt,
but I don't understand why I'm integrating wrt t now, when the definition says w.

Could somebody please explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get that definition from? Think about it, you want to find a function [itex]F(\omega)[/itex], but if you calculate the integral you've written down as the "definition" then the integration boundaries will be inserted into [itex]\omega[/itex] after the integration. As as a result you won't have a function with variable [itex]\omega[/itex].

The correct definition is (normalization conventions can be different):
[tex]
F(\omega)}=\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-i \omega t} dt
[/tex]

Actually I got that definition from the solution to the question. It makes a whole lot more sense now, thanks for your reply!

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal into its component frequencies.

2. How is a Fourier transform applied to rectangular pulses?

A Fourier transform can be applied to rectangular pulses by representing the pulse as a series of sinusoidal waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fourier transform on rectangular pulses?

The purpose of using a Fourier transform on rectangular pulses is to analyze the frequency content of the signal and identify the dominant frequencies present.

4. Can a Fourier transform be used to convert a rectangular pulse into a continuous wave?

No, a Fourier transform does not change the shape or duration of a signal. It only breaks down the signal into its frequency components.

5. How is the inverse Fourier transform used in relation to rectangular pulses?

The inverse Fourier transform is used to reconstruct a signal from its frequency components. In the case of rectangular pulses, it can be used to reconstruct the original pulse from its sinusoidal components.