Limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2

• Thread starter username12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, you are trying to solve for cosh(2x) when x=0, but get an equation that is impossible to solve in terms of sinh x. You eventually solve for cosh(0) and get the answer of 0.
username12345

Homework Statement

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(2x)}{{4x^3 + x^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Product, sum, quotient laws

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(2x)}{{4x^3 + x^2}} =
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}}
=
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{4 + 0 + 0}}
=
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(\lim 2x)}{{4}}
=
\frac{1 - cosh(0)}{{4}}
= \frac{1 - 1}{{4}}
= 0
[/tex]

However the answer is supposed to be 2.

I was sure the denominator should be 4, but not sure how to get 8 in the numerator :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay well, You seem to have changed that 4x^3 to 4 + x^3, which is how you got your zero denominator to be 4.

Firstly, do you know [tex] \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \sinh x}{x} [/tex] ? That is a good thing to know and is easy to find.

Also, can you express [tex]\cosh 2x[/tex] in terms of sinh^2 x ? That will help.

Gib Z said:
Okay well, You seem to have changed that 4x^3 to 4 + x^3, which is how you got your zero denominator to be 4.

Firstly, do you know [tex] \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \sinh x}{x} [/tex] ? That is a good thing to know and is easy to find.

sinh(0) = 0 so use LHopitals rule :
[tex] \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \sinh x}{x} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \cosh x}{1} = \frac{cosh 0}{1} = \frac{1}{1} = 1 [/tex]

Gib Z said:
Also, can you express [tex]\cosh 2x[/tex] in terms of sinh^2 x ? That will help.
I don't know what you mean, sorry.

Ok well, have you seen the identity

[tex]\cosh 2x = 2\sinh^2 x +1[/tex]
?

Gib Z said:
Ok well, have you seen the identity

[tex]\cosh 2x = 2\sinh^2 x +1[/tex]
?

I tried subbing x = 0 into the above in the original equation and get:

[tex]\frac{1 - 2e^2 + 4 - \frac{2}{e^2}}{16x^3 + 4x^2}[/tex]

Now should I divide each term by [tex]x^3[/tex]?

Can someone please show me the method? I am getting confused now.

Directly substitute that identity into your limit, and apply the other limit you worked out.

You mean into this? [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}}[/tex]

so, [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim 2 + \lim sinh^2(x+1)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}} = \frac{1 - 2 + \lim sinh^2(x+1)}{4} [/tex]

I can't get that to equal 2.

Hey dude apply l-hospital rule when there is 0/0 form after putting x=0 in the original equation , now differentiate the equation not in u/v form differentiate upper equation and lower equation differently until u got the equation not in the form 0/0 after putting the value

First use L'Hopital's rule with the original problem and keep using it until you're done. You probably want to use an identity to make differentiation a little easier after one step.

Best answer I can get is 1/2 or -1/2.

Anyway test on this starts in 45 minutes so just hope this question doesn't come up.

1. What is the limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2 as x approaches 0?

The limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2 as x approaches 0 is equal to 1/2. This can be found by using L'Hopital's rule or by simplifying the expression.

2. How can I find the limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2 as x approaches infinity?

The limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2 as x approaches infinity is equal to 0. This can be found by dividing the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x and then taking the limit as x approaches infinity.

3. Can this limit be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, this limit can be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule by simplifying the expression using trigonometric identities and then taking the limit as x approaches the desired value.

4. What is the significance of the limit of this expression?

The limit of this expression can represent the behavior of a function as x approaches a specific value or as x approaches infinity. It can also be used to determine the existence of a horizontal asymptote in the graph of the function.

5. How can I use this limit in real-life applications?

This limit can be used in real-life applications such as in engineering and physics to determine the maximum load that a structure can withstand before breaking or to model the behavior of a physical system as it approaches equilibrium.