What is the oldest known musical instrument in history?

• Music
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, a 35,000-year-old flute, believed to be the oldest musical instrument ever found, has been discovered in Germany. Initially thought to be a hoax, this discovery sheds light on the existence of crafted instruments in prehistoric times. The purpose for putting holes in the flute remains a mystery, but it is speculated that it was a mistake that ended up creating a new sound. This finding is a significant milestone in the study of prehistoric music and shows the progress of human creativity and innovation.
Science news on Phys.org
Awesome! I'm writing a paper on prehistoric music so this is fairly interesting!

moose said:
Awesome! I'm writing a paper on prehistoric music so this is fairly interesting!

I would never have imagined that they would find something that old. The first thing that came to mind was: "its got to be a hoax".

edward said:
I would never have imagined that they would find something that old. The first thing that came to mind was: "its got to be a hoax".

Ya I was thinking the same thing... This is really remarkable I never would have thought any kind of crafted instrument existed back then.

What I wonder though is why they ever decided to put holes in it anyways? Probably just a mistake and they thought that it sounded nice?

Sorry! said:
Ya I was thinking the same thing... This is really remarkable I never would have thought any kind of crafted instrument existed back then.

What I wonder though is why they ever decided to put holes in it anyways? Probably just a mistake and they thought that it sounded nice?

Someone probably put just one hole in a piece of bone and just got carried away. Thats progress.:biggrin:

1. What is a 35,000 year old flute?

A 35,000 year old flute is a musical instrument that was created and used by humans over 35,000 years ago. It is believed to be one of the oldest musical instruments ever discovered.

2. Where was the 35,000 year old flute found?

The 35,000 year old flute was found in the Hohle Fels cave in Germany, which is located in the Swabian Jura region.

3. How was the 35,000 year old flute made?

The 35,000 year old flute was made from the bone of a vulture, with five finger holes and a V-shaped mouthpiece. It is believed that the flute was made using stone tools and heated to shape the holes and mouthpiece.

4. Who made the 35,000 year old flute?

The creator of the 35,000 year old flute is unknown. However, it is believed that it was made by early humans who lived in the area during the Upper Paleolithic period.

5. What is the significance of the 35,000 year old flute?

The 35,000 year old flute is significant because it provides evidence of early human creativity and musical expression. It also challenges previous assumptions about the development of music and musical instruments within human history.