Superpartners and the Search for New Physics at the LHC

• Thread starter jweygna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary: They definitely think so! Many particle physicists think superparticles will be seen at the LHC; an especially good one just bet me on it this evening:
jweygna1
I have just finished reading a book on supersymmetry that was written in 1999. It explained extensively about the existence of superpartners. As of 199, though, none had been observed. My question is have any been observed in the last ten years? Also has the Higgs Boson been observed in that time frame as well? And is the Large Hardon Collider up and running? Thank you. (My school library is limited in its recently written physics books. Finding a book only ten years old is a rarity.)

Physics news on Phys.org

i know the LHD was started up for testing not too long ago but was shut back down soon after to fix something

The answer to all of your questions is no. There have been no observations of superpartners, no observations of the Higgs, and the LHC is not yet running (although, it is supposed to be within the next few months).

Thank you. The book I read was by Gordon Kane of Ann Arbor and he made it seem like the detection of 'sparticles' was in the recent future.

Above seems right... wikipedia superpartner says
As of 2009 there is no direct evidence that supersymmetry exists. Since superpartners of the particles of the Standard Model have not been observed, supersymmetry, if it exists, must allegedly be a broken symmetry allowing the 'sparticles' to be relatively heavy.

I believe the CERN LHC had an electromagent overheat or burn...Due this summer for operation..but don't hold your breath!

Naty1 said:
Above seems right... wikipedia superpartner says

I believe the CERN LHC had an electromagent overheat or burn...Due this summer for operation..but don't hold your breath!

huh?!

garrett said:
Many particle physicists think superparticles will be seen at the LHC; an especially good one just bet me on it this evening:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=superparticles

yeah of course they think? ;-)

1. What are superpartners?

Superpartners, also known as supersymmetric particles, are hypothetical particles predicted by the theory of supersymmetry. They are the supersymmetric counterparts of known particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why do scientists believe in the existence of superpartners?

Scientists believe in the existence of superpartners because they provide a potential solution to several problems in the Standard Model, such as the hierarchy problem and the lack of a unifying theory for all fundamental forces. Additionally, supersymmetry has been supported by mathematical and experimental evidence.

3. Have superpartners been observed or detected?

No, superpartners have not been observed or detected yet. Despite extensive research and experiments, there has been no concrete evidence of their existence. However, scientists continue to search for them using high-energy particle accelerators and other advanced technologies.

4. What would be the implications if superpartners are discovered?

If superpartners are discovered, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and help fill in the gaps in the Standard Model. It could also provide insights into the nature of dark matter and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics.

5. Are there any alternative theories to supersymmetry?

Yes, there are alternative theories to supersymmetry, such as extra dimensions, string theory, and composite models. These theories also aim to address the problems in the Standard Model and offer potential explanations for the existence of superpartners. However, more research and evidence are needed to determine which theory is the most accurate.