SPDT switch with phototransistors

• Thread starter univeruser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the conversation is about making a single pole-double throw (SPDT) switch using phototransistors that can be activated by IR LEDs. The goal is to keep the circuit simple with minimal components. The switch contacts will be electronic, and there is a question about the need for two receive pickups and the possibility of using a photo-darlington type transistor with three legs.
univeruser
Hi all. I am looking on how to make a single pole-double throw (SPDT) switch using phototransistors that can be activated by IR LEDs (not from a remote, i.e. in pulses, but as a single arrangement of a switch, cell, and IR LED).

Please keep it simple, I am only doing experiments. I don't require any complicated circuits, but just using the minimal of components.

Engineering news on Phys.org
univeruser said:
Hi all. I am looking on how to make a single pole-double throw (SPDT) switch using phototransistors that can be activated by IR LEDs (not from a remote, i.e. in pulses, but as a single arrangement of a switch, cell, and IR LED).

Please keep it simple, I am only doing experiments. I don't require any complicated circuits, but just using the minimal of components.

Do you want the switch contacts to be mechanical (like with a relay), or electronic (like with analog switch ICs)? What voltages and currents will the switch contacts see? You will need two receive pickups, right? To actuate the two "positions" of the pole?

I'm using phototransistors, so of course, an electronic one. I'd also like someone to try and make a SPDT that uses one phototransistor, if not, then two or even more. Since I find difficulty in finding phototransistors, it should be the reason why I would like to hear about a single phototransistor-operated SPDT.

I think, could a photo-darlington type transistor with three legs be used for this purpose?

Please don't take it as a very demanding post.

Last edited:

1. What is a SPDT switch with phototransistors?

A SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch with phototransistors is an electronic component that uses light-sensitive transistors to control the flow of electricity. It has three terminals and can be used to switch between two separate circuits.

2. How does a SPDT switch with phototransistors work?

The switch contains two phototransistors, one on either side of the switch. When light is shone on one of the phototransistors, it conducts electricity and activates the switch, allowing current to flow through one circuit. When the light is removed, the other phototransistor conducts and the switch returns to its original state, allowing current to flow through the other circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a SPDT switch with phototransistors?

One advantage of this type of switch is that it does not require physical contact to activate, making it more reliable and durable than traditional switches. It also allows for remote operation and eliminates the risk of sparking or arcing.

4. In what applications are SPDT switches with phototransistors commonly used?

These switches are often used in electronic circuits that require a high level of reliability, such as in aerospace, military, and medical equipment. They are also commonly used in automation and control systems, as well as in security and alarm systems.

5. Can a SPDT switch with phototransistors be used in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, a SPDT switch with phototransistors can be used in both AC and DC circuits. However, the switch must be rated for the appropriate voltage and current levels of the circuit in which it will be used.