Optimal Heat Treatment Times for Steel Specimens: A Practical Guide

In summary, the speaker is seeking clarification on the statements "10mins/cm of ruling section" and "1 hour per 25mm of section" in regards to heat treatment time. They provide the dimensions of their specimens and ask for the appropriate heat treatment time for each. They also mention that the journals may require knowledge of the cross sections of the parts and inquire about the type of heat treatment being used.
shark86
Hi forumer,

I have 2 specimens that need to be done hardening and tempering.

I have found some journals for it. But i don't understand the following statement.

"10mins/cm of ruling section" ; and

"1 hour per 25mm of section"

If my specimens dimension are:

A) 12.5mm X 12.5mm X 100mm ;and

B) 12.5mm X 31mm X 32mm.

So, how long should be the heat treatment for both specimen A and B.

Thank you. Hav a nice day

Engineering news on Phys.org
One needs to know the cross sections of the parts being heat treated in the journals.

Are the heat treatments done on billets or smaller parts, e.g., plates or strip.

Some companies use strip mills and the annealing time is determined by the length of the heat treatment mill/furnace and speed of strip.

Surface hardening is often accomplished by induction elements with a particular speed of the part through an induction coil.

1. What is steel heat treatment?

Steel heat treatment is a process used to alter the properties of steel by heating and cooling it in a controlled manner. This process can increase the strength, hardness, toughness, and ductility of steel, making it suitable for various industrial applications.

2. Why is heat treatment important for steel?

Heat treatment is important for steel because it allows for the modification of its properties to meet specific requirements for different applications. This can improve the overall performance and durability of steel products.

3. What are the different types of heat treatment for steel?

There are several types of heat treatment for steel, including annealing, normalizing, quenching, tempering, and carburizing. Each type involves heating the steel to a specific temperature and then cooling it in a specific manner to achieve desired properties.

4. What factors influence the success of steel heat treatment?

The success of steel heat treatment depends on various factors such as the chemical composition of the steel, the heating and cooling rates, the temperature and duration of the heat treatment, and the type of cooling medium used. It is important to carefully control these factors to achieve the desired properties.

5. Can all types of steel be heat treated?

No, not all types of steel can be heat treated. Steel must have certain chemical composition and microstructure to be amenable to heat treatment. For example, low carbon steels are easily heat treatable, while high carbon steels may require more complex heat treatment processes.