T Flip-Flop Using A D Flip-Flop HDL?

• Thread starter pags920
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating a T Flip-Flop using a D Flip-Flop and incorporating a XOR gate into the Verilog code. It is suggested to wire the D input to bar(Q) in order to make the flip-flop toggle.
pags920
I am trying to figure out how to make a T Flip Flop using a D Flip-Flop. I know that I need to use a XOR gate in order to make the T Flip-Flop, but I am having trouble putting it into a Verilog code. Below is the module for the flip-flop. Do I have to create a new module just for the XOR gate or can I incorporate it somehow in the flip flop module?

module T_flip_flop (Q, D, CLK, Clr);
output Q;
input D, CLK, Clr;
reg Q;

always @ (posedge CLK or negedge Clr)
if(~Clr)Q<=1'b0; else Q<=D;
endmodule

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know verilog but a D flip flop outputs whatever is at the D input when you clock it.

If you want it to toggle, wire D to bar(Q).

1. What is a T flip-flop and how does it differ from a D flip-flop?

A T flip-flop, also known as a toggle flip-flop, is a type of sequential logic circuit that can store one bit of information. It differs from a D flip-flop in that instead of having a data input, it has a toggle input (T) which causes the flip-flop to toggle between its two output states (0 and 1).

2. How does a T flip-flop using a D flip-flop work?

A T flip-flop using a D flip-flop works by using the D input of the D flip-flop as the toggle input (T) for the T flip-flop. When the T input is high, the flip-flop will toggle its output based on the current state of the D input. When the T input is low, the flip-flop will hold its current state.

3. What is the purpose of using a T flip-flop instead of a D flip-flop?

The purpose of using a T flip-flop instead of a D flip-flop is to reduce the number of inputs needed for a sequential logic circuit. By using a T flip-flop, the circuit can be simplified and require fewer components.

4. Can a T flip-flop using a D flip-flop be used to create a clock signal?

Yes, a T flip-flop using a D flip-flop can be used to create a clock signal. By connecting the toggle input (T) to the output of an inverter, the flip-flop will toggle between 0 and 1 on each clock cycle, creating a clock signal.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a T flip-flop using a D flip-flop?

The advantages of using a T flip-flop using a D flip-flop include reduced component count, simplified circuit design, and the ability to create a clock signal. However, the disadvantage is that it can only store one bit of information, making it less versatile for more complex logic operations compared to other flip-flop types.