Tensor Notation Explained - Understanding Differences and Derivatives

The index of the variable of integration tells you which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to (e.g. time or space).
Old Guy

Homework Statement

Not a specific problem; I'm trying to understand what the notation means; I'm using primarily Griffiths, Marion and Jackson textbooks.

The notation for a matrix, with the superscript row index and subscript column index I understand. For the EM field tensor, Griffiths has both indices superscripted, and Marion has both subscripted. My questions are:
1. What is the difference?
2. What is the meaning when they are both on the same level? I assume one is rows and one is columns - but which is which?
3. When you take a derivative of the tensor, what exactly are you doing in terms of the indices of the tensor and the index of the variable of integration?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched Boas, Arfken & Webber, Wikipedia, and some other web sites to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Old Guy said:

Homework Statement

Not a specific problem; I'm trying to understand what the notation means; I'm using primarily Griffiths, Marion and Jackson textbooks.

The notation for a matrix, with the superscript row index and subscript column index I understand. For the EM field tensor, Griffiths has both indices superscripted, and Marion has both subscripted. My questions are:
1. What is the difference?

The difference is in how the components of the tensor transform, under any given coordinate transformation. The usual convention is that tensors with lowered (subscript) indices are covariant and tensors with raised (superscript) indices are contravariant. Tensors with both lowered and raised indices are called mixed tensors.

2. What is the meaning when they are both on the same level? I assume one is rows and one is columns - but which is which?

Tensors are not just matrices. In the case of second rank tensors (whether they are covariant, contravariant or mixed), you can represent them by a matrix by defining certain basis vectors to be represented as row vectors, and others as columns. Which is which depends on how you define your representation.

3. When you take a derivative of the tensor, what exactly are you doing in terms of the indices of the tensor and the index of the variable of integration?

Taking the derivative of a tensor with respect to any given variable simply means that you take the derivative of each component of the tensor. In the case of the field tensors you work with in electrodynamics, there are 16 components for each second rank tensor (matrix) and 4 components for each 1st rank tensor (vector).

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers used to describe linear relationships between different sets of data. It is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to simplify and generalize complex equations.

2. How is tensor notation different from standard mathematical notation?

Tensor notation uses special symbols, such as upper and lower indices, to represent the different dimensions of a tensor. It also follows specific rules for notation, such as the Einstein summation convention, which simplifies the writing of multiple summations in a single expression.

3. What are the advantages of using tensor notation?

Tensor notation allows for the concise representation of complex mathematical relationships, making it easier for scientists to analyze and solve problems. It also allows for the generalization of equations, making them applicable to a wide range of situations.

4. Are there different types of tensor notation?

Yes, there are different types of tensor notation, such as index notation, matrix notation, and component notation. The specific type used may depend on the field of study or personal preference of the scientist.

5. How can I learn tensor notation?

There are many resources available for learning tensor notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. It is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and calculus before attempting to learn tensor notation. Practice and patience are also key to mastering this notation.