Rotating bar, each end different velocities

• Thread starter Sarial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a bar rotating and moving at different speeds. The person is having trouble understanding how to calculate the speed of each end with respect to the center of mass. They thought the bar would be moving with a tangential velocity of v2-v1, but are unsure of what they are missing.
Sarial

Homework Statement

Simple question, but no matter how much I think about it I can't see what I'm doing wrong.
[URL]http://spock.physast.uga.edu/res/uga/PhysicsLib/Matter_and_Interactions/Ch10/figs/mom_and_angmom_stick.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically you have a bar where one side is moving at v1 and the other is moving v2, both in the same direction. So the whole system is moving, and then the bar is also rotating. I thought it would be moving at v1 as a system, and then rotating with a tangential velocity of v2-v1 since v2 > v1. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the speed of each end with respect to the center of mass.

1. What is a rotating bar?

A rotating bar is a physical object that spins around a central axis. It can be made of any material, such as metal or plastic, and can have various shapes and sizes.

2. How does a rotating bar work?

A rotating bar works by utilizing the principles of rotational motion. When one end of the bar is given a different velocity than the other end, it causes the bar to rotate around its axis. This is similar to how a spinning top works.

3. What is the purpose of a rotating bar?

A rotating bar can serve various purposes, including demonstrating physics concepts and principles, testing the effects of different velocities on rotational motion, and as a source of entertainment.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a rotating bar?

The speed of a rotating bar can be calculated using the formula: Speed = distance / time. The distance traveled by the bar is the circumference of the circle it traces, and the time is the duration of one rotation.

5. Can a rotating bar have more than two different velocities?

Yes, a rotating bar can have multiple different velocities at different points along its length. This can result in complex rotational motion and can be used to study the effects of varying velocities on rotational dynamics.