Polynomial equation in several variables

In summary, the most general solution to an equation of the form a_1 p_1 + \ldots + a_n p_n =0, where p_i are given polynomials in N variables with no common factor and a_n are the polynomials we are looking for, is a_i=\sum_{j\neq i} c_j p_j, where c_j are polynomials obeying a further relation. This solution can be obtained by setting a_1=-c p_2, a_2=c p_1 for n=2, and a_3=...=a_n=0.
GargleBlast42
What is the most general solution to an equation of the form:

[tex]a_1 p_1 + \ldots + a_n p_n =0[/tex]

where [tex]p_i[/tex] are given polynomials in several (N) variables with no common factor (i.e. their GCD is 1) and [tex]a_n[/tex] are the polynomials we are looking for (again in the same N variables). Of course, I'm asking for a nontrivial solution, i.e. not all a's are zero.

For the case where n=2, i.e. where I only have [tex]a_1 p_1+a_2 p_2 =0[/tex], this is easy - we obtain that [tex]a_1=-c p_2, a_2=c p_1[/tex], where c is an arbitrary polynomial (recall that [tex]p_1, p_2[/tex] have no common factor). Does something simmilar hold also for n>2?

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be so many. If all you want is a nontrivial solution, then just use the a1, a2 as in your example, and set a3=...=an=0.

Well, that is certainly a solution, but I would like to obtain the most general form.

Could one, for example, show that all such solutions have to have the form [tex]a_i=\sum_{j\neq i} c_j p_j[/tex], with the [tex]c_j[/tex] being some polynomials obeying some further relation (which is obtained by substituting this ansatz to the equation).

I know probably to little from algebra to be able to prove something like that. Or maybe it's just trivial and I don't see it?

1. What is a polynomial equation in several variables?

A polynomial equation in several variables is an algebraic equation that contains more than one variable and involves only addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. The variables are raised to non-negative integer powers and the coefficients are real numbers.

2. How is a polynomial equation in several variables different from a polynomial equation in one variable?

A polynomial equation in several variables is similar to a polynomial equation in one variable, but it contains more than one variable. This means that the equation can have multiple solutions, as each variable can take on different values. In contrast, a polynomial equation in one variable only has one solution.

3. What are the different types of polynomial equations in several variables?

The different types of polynomial equations in several variables include linear, quadratic, cubic, and higher degree polynomials. These equations can also be classified as homogeneous or non-homogeneous, depending on whether all terms have the same degree or not.

4. How do you solve a polynomial equation in several variables?

To solve a polynomial equation in several variables, the goal is to find values for each variable that make the equation true. This can be done by using algebraic methods, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. In some cases, advanced techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix methods may be needed.

5. What are some real-life applications of polynomial equations in several variables?

Polynomial equations in several variables are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as projectile motion, population growth, and economic trends. They are also used in computer science for data analysis and machine learning algorithms.