Calc 3-normal lines to surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations of normal lines to surfaces at given points. The speaker is confused about the difference between the equation of the tangent plane and the equation of the line normal to the surface. They are also unsure how to switch the signs of the x_{}0, y_{}0, and z_{}0 values. Another speaker suggests using the cross product of the partial derivatives to find the equation of the line normal to the surface. The conversation also touches on rewriting the equation of the plane in the form n•x = c, where n is the normal vector to the plane. Finally, another method for finding the normal line is discussed using the gradient of a function.
somebodyelse5

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the normal lines to the surfaces at the given points.

z=(3/4)x^2+3y^2 @ pt. (2,1)
2. The attempt at a solution

I have already found the equation of the tangent plane and know it is correct.
Tangent plane => (z-6)=3(x-2)+6(y-1)

Now, I am confused here, when it says it wants the equation of the line normal to the surface, it really wants the equation of the line normal to the tangent plane correct?

I know that the answer is <3t+2, 6t+1, -t+6> but I have no idea how to solve for it.
I understand where these values come from <3t+2, 6t+1, -1t+6> but what step am I missing to switch the signs of the x[tex]_{}0[/tex] y[tex]_{}0[/tex] and z[tex]_{}0[/tex]

I need to be able to do this again on 7 more problems, 4 of which are from parameterizations (i don't think this maters). For those, I took the partial derivatives of the position vector and crossed them, is the result of the cross product the equation of the line normal to the surface at that point?

I think I have a solid grasp on the actual image of what I am looking for, but i don't understand how to actually get it.

Note: This HW was assigned before we learned about Gradients.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite the equation of the plane in the form nx = c. The vector n is normal to the plane.

vela said:
Rewrite the equation of the plane in the form nx = c. The vector n is normal to the plane.

where x is the vector used to create the equation of the tangent plane? what do i set as c?

x=(x,y,z). c is a constant; it's where everything else in your equation of the plane ends up. Just multiply out your equation for the plane, move the terms with variables all to one side and everything else to the other. You should be able to read off what n is.

vela said:
x=(x,y,z). c is a constant; it's where everything else in your equation of the plane ends up. Just multiply out your equation for the plane, move the terms with variables all to one side and everything else to the other. You should be able to read off what n is.

k thanks!

Here's another way to do it, without first finding the tangent plane: think of the surface [itex]z= (3/4)x^2+ 3y^2[/itex], which is the same as [itex](3/4)x^2+ 3y^3- z= 0[/itex] as a "level surface" for [itex]F(x,y,z)= (3/4)x^2+ 3y^2- z[/itex]. We know that the [itex]\nabla F\cdot \vec{v}[/itex], with [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] a unit vector, is the derivative (rate of change) of F in the [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] direction. In particular, if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a vector in the tangent plane to the surface, then, since F is constant on the surface, that directional derivative is 0: we must have [itex]\nabla F\cdot \vec{v}= 0[/itex] for any vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] in the tangent plane. Since [itex]\nabla F[/itex] is perpendicular to every vector in the tangent plane, it is normal to the tangent plane and so to the surface.

With [itex]F(x, y, z)= (3/4)x^2+ 3y^2- z[/itex], [itex]\nabla F= (3/2)x\vec{i}+ 6y\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] normal to the surface. At x= 2, y= 1, that is [itex]2\vec{i}+ 6\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex]. Further, z= (3/4)(4)+ 3(1)= 6 so the point on the surface is (2, 1, 6). The line through (2, 1, 6) in the direction of the vector [itex]2\vec{i}+ 6\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] is given by x= 2t+ 2, y= 6t+ 1, z= -t+ 6.

1. What is the normal line to a surface in Calc 3?

In Calc 3, the normal line to a surface is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent plane at a given point on the surface. It can also be thought of as the line that is orthogonal to the surface at that point.

2. How do you find the normal line to a surface in Calc 3?

To find the normal line to a surface in Calc 3, you first need to find the gradient vector of the function representing the surface. Then, at a given point on the surface, the normal line will be the line passing through that point in the direction of the gradient vector.

3. What is the equation of the normal line to a surface in Calc 3?

The equation of the normal line to a surface in Calc 3 can be written as y = f(a,b) + [fx(a,b), fy(a,b), fz(a,b)](t-a, t-b) where (a,b) is the given point on the surface and [fx(a,b), fy(a,b), fz(a,b)] is the gradient vector of the function representing the surface.

4. How is the normal line to a surface used in Calc 3?

In Calc 3, the normal line to a surface is used to find the direction of maximum increase or decrease of a function at a given point on the surface. It is also used to find the tangent plane to the surface, as the normal line is perpendicular to the tangent plane.

5. Can the normal line to a surface in Calc 3 be horizontal or vertical?

No, the normal line to a surface in Calc 3 cannot be horizontal or vertical. This is because the gradient vector, which is used to determine the direction of the normal line, cannot have a horizontal or vertical component. If the gradient vector is horizontal or vertical, then the surface would not have a well-defined normal line at that point.