Calculating Flow Rate of 180°F and 3 GPM

In summary, Adam is looking to calculate the energy needed to heat 11 liters per minute of water from 20C to 80C. He is also seeking suggestions for a solar thermal system for this residential project. Based on the given information, the required heat flow rate is approximately 42 kW.
adamjbradley
I'll elaborate a little. I trying to work out how to calculate and how to make at least 180 F (80 C) and 3 gallons per minute (11 liters/min)?

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Engineering news on Phys.org

Elaborate a bit more please. Would you like to know how to make a flow rate of 3gal/min at 180F?

viscousflow said:
Elaborate a bit more please. Would you like to know how to make a flow rate of 3gal/min at 180F?

I'd like to know how to calculate how many J of energy I need to provide in order to satisfy that requirement and some suggestions on how (preferably solar thermal, ideally with storage!)

This is a little residential project.

Adam

Do you mean you want to raise the temperature to 180 and then pump at 3 gallons a minute (provide energy for both)?

Or

Do you mean you are pumping at 3 gallons a minute and you need the energy input required to heat that flow rate to 180?

You'll also need the temperature of the input water being heated.

...and that's assuming he means water.

brewnog said:
...and that's assuming he means water.

True. Based on his posts it sounds like he's making (or trying to make) a solar water heater.

93mb.png

Erm, what? Is that the most constructive thing you can post? Don't bother.

der's a srtain seemilarity

kandelabr said:
der's a srtain seemilarity

English lad, English.

No wonder you went straight in with a picture.

jarednjames said:
Do you mean you want to raise the temperature to 180 and then pump at 3 gallons a minute (provide energy for both)?

Or

Do you mean you are pumping at 3 gallons a minute and you need the energy input required to heat that flow rate to 180?

Sorry I dropped off the radar, been caught up in the floods in Brisbane Australia.

The latter, I'm pumping water at 11 litres/minute and need to know the energy input required to heat that flow rate to 80C (from 20C).

Thanks for your patience.

Adam

I think the following applies for heating water 11L/minute (0.183 kg/s) at 80C (dt is 55C)

q = h / ( cp ρ dt )
where
q = volumetric flow rate
h = heat flow rate
cp = specific heat capacity
ρ = density
dt = temperature difference

h = q ( cp ρ dt ) and
h = 0.183 ( 4.2 ) ( 55)
h = 42 kW

1. What is the formula for calculating flow rate?

The formula for calculating flow rate is Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate in gallons per minute (GPM), V is the volume of fluid in gallons, and t is the time in minutes.

2. How do you convert GPM to cubic feet per second (CFS)?

To convert GPM to CFS, you can use the conversion factor 0.002228, which is the number of cubic feet in a gallon. So, to convert GPM to CFS, simply multiply the flow rate in GPM by 0.002228.

3. Can you explain the significance of 180°F in flow rate calculations?

In flow rate calculations, 180°F is significant because it represents the temperature of the fluid being measured. The viscosity of a fluid, or its resistance to flow, is affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the viscosity decreases, resulting in a higher flow rate for the same volume of fluid.

4. Why is it important to measure the flow rate of fluid?

Measuring the flow rate of fluid is important in many industries, such as manufacturing and water treatment. It allows for accurate control of processes, detection of leaks or blockages, and optimization of efficiency. Additionally, knowing the flow rate can help determine the appropriate size of pipes, pumps, and other equipment needed.

5. How does the flow rate of 180°F and 3 GPM affect the performance of a system?

The flow rate of 180°F and 3 GPM is a specific measurement that can affect the performance of a system in various ways. For example, in a heating system, it may indicate the amount of hot water needed to maintain a certain temperature. In a cooling system, it may determine how quickly the system can cool down a space. In general, the flow rate can impact the efficiency, effectiveness, and overall performance of a system.