Help with thesis: Harmonic Distortion in Firearm Barrel

In summary, the speaker is looking for suggestions on selecting a thesis topic related to firearms, specifically on the acoustics of the barrel and its effects on accuracy and how to reduce them. They are having trouble finding extensive resources on the topic and are open to changing it, as they have access to resources through their job. They are also seeking advice on how to approach the topic in a practical way and obtain results. They clarify that this is not for a master's thesis.
gman89
Hi,

I'm trying to select a thesis based on firearms and am thinking of doing an acoustics based topic, namely, something how the harmonics of the barrel during firing affects accuracy, and how to reduce this effect (any variation of this really). The problem is that there isn't much information dedicated directly on this topic (so far only a few websites and at most a page of information on websites), so I'm wondering if anyone knew of any extensive resources in which I'm assured to not run into a dead end.

The next problem is related to what type of approach I should use to actually do this considering it would have to be experimentally testable. A good thesis generally has a good mixture of experimental and computational analysis. So I need suggestions on how to vary the topic to accommodate something that is actually practical for me to complete. For example, I might have to be able to fire the weapon and show a change in precision and accuracy for the experimental side. In short, how will I obtain results?

Lastly, I'm open to changing the topic provided it's still based on firearms. The reason for this is that I've been working for a company that develops the technology (so I have a few resources at my disposal) and am thinking of this as a career. So any suggestions on topics, or answers to the above questions would be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please tell me this isn't like a masters thesis.

No it's not.

1. What is harmonic distortion in firearm barrel?

Harmonic distortion in firearm barrel refers to the deviation of the bullet's trajectory from the intended straight path due to vibrations and oscillations within the barrel. These vibrations can be caused by various factors such as the pressure and speed of the bullet, the shape and length of the barrel, and the materials used in the barrel's construction.

2. How does harmonic distortion affect accuracy?

Harmonic distortion can significantly affect the accuracy of a firearm. As the bullet travels through the barrel, it encounters vibrations that can cause it to deviate from its intended path. This means that the bullet may not hit the target at the exact point where the firearm was aimed, resulting in decreased accuracy.

3. Can harmonic distortion be reduced or eliminated?

Yes, harmonic distortion can be reduced or eliminated through various methods such as using a longer and thicker barrel, using materials that dampen vibrations, and using a muzzle brake or compensator. These methods help to reduce the vibration and oscillation of the barrel, resulting in improved accuracy.

4. How does temperature affect harmonic distortion?

Temperature can have a significant impact on harmonic distortion in firearm barrel. As the temperature increases, the metal of the barrel expands, causing changes in the barrel's shape and altering the vibrations and oscillations. This can lead to increased harmonic distortion and decreased accuracy. Some firearms are designed to minimize the effects of temperature on harmonic distortion.

5. Can harmonic distortion affect the lifespan of a firearm?

Yes, harmonic distortion can have a negative impact on the lifespan of a firearm. The constant vibrations and oscillations within the barrel can cause wear and tear on the barrel and other components of the firearm, leading to decreased durability and potential malfunctions. This is why it is important to address and minimize harmonic distortion in firearm barrels.