Reducing 2nd order to 1st order type question

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help for a math problem involving finding the general solution and singular solution for a given equation. The student shares their solution and asks for clarification on the concept of a singular solution. Another person points out a mistake in the solution and suggests a different approach. The conversation ends with the student questioning the reason for differentiating both sides and the confusion about the title of the problem.
Shinjo
Help! I'm just starting this class and I have no idea what's going on. What I don't understand is, what answer are you supposed to give? My question says "Find the general solution and also the singular solution, if it exists". What the hell does that mean?

Can someone tell me if this is right?

Question: [tex]x(y')^2 - (2x + 3y)y' + 6y = 0[/tex]

so let [tex]p = y'[/tex]

[tex]xp^2 - (2x + 3y)p + 6y = 0[/tex]
[tex]xp^2 - 2xp - 3yp + 6y = 0[/tex]
[tex]-3yp + 6y = -xp^2 + 2xp[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{(-xp)(p-2)}{(-3)(p-2)}[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{xp}{3} [/tex]

so then,

[tex]3y' = 3p = xp' + p[/tex]
[tex]2p = xp'[/tex]
[tex]2p = x \frac{dp}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dp}{p} = 2\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{P} = 2\ln{x} + \ln{C}[/tex]
[tex]p = cx^2[/tex]
[tex]y' = cx^2[/tex]
[tex]y = cx^3 + b[/tex], where c and b are constants

and that's as far as I got...now what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check your solution? Unless I'm making a mistake, plugging in that expression for y doesn't yield 0 on the LHS of the original equation.

As for "singular", I presume your professor is referring to the fact that one of the steps you take will not necessarily be valid... the singular solution corresponds to the case where that step is not legal.

hmm...I didn't plug in anything, but my lecture notes says plug in back to original equation so I think you're on to something. If you're talking about the step where I went from

y = (xp)/3, I moved the 3 to the LHS so it will be
3y = xp

then I differentiated both sides

3y' = xp' + p (product rule)
and since y' = p,
3p = xp' + p

I meant that y = c x^3 + b doesn't seem to work in the original differential equation.

Try solving
[tex]xp^2 - (2x + 3y)p + 6y = 0[/tex]
for p using the quadratic equation. That will give two different differential equations for y.

One of them will be your 3y= xp which is a simple separable equation:
[tex] x\frac{dy}{dx}= 3y[/tex]

and the other is even simpler!

I understand
"3y = xp
then I differentiated both sides
3y' = xp' + p (product rule)"

but I don't see WHY you would do that. The original 3y= xp is much simpler than 3p= xp'+ p.

Also differentiating again may introduce "extraneous solutions" which appears to be what happened to you.

And, by the way, your title was "Reducing 2nd order to 1st order type question " so it is very strange that you should take a 1st order d.e. and change it to 2nd order!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I reduce a second order equation to a first order equation?

One way to reduce a second order equation to a first order equation is by using a substitution method. This involves substituting a new variable for one of the existing variables in the equation and then rewriting the equation in terms of the new variable.

2. What is the purpose of reducing a second order equation to a first order equation?

The purpose of reducing a second order equation to a first order equation is to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. First order equations are generally easier to work with and have more well-known solutions compared to higher order equations.

3. Is it always possible to reduce a second order equation to a first order equation?

No, it is not always possible to reduce a second order equation to a first order equation. It depends on the specific equation and its form. In some cases, it may not be possible to reduce the equation, and in others, it may require more advanced techniques.

4. Can reducing a second order equation to a first order equation change the solutions to the equation?

Yes, reducing a second order equation to a first order equation can change the solutions to the equation. This is because the process of reduction involves simplifying the equation, which can sometimes eliminate certain solutions or create new ones.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing a second order equation to a first order equation?

Yes, there are limitations to reducing a second order equation to a first order equation. As mentioned before, it may not always be possible to reduce the equation, and even when it is possible, it may not always result in a simpler or more workable equation. Additionally, the process of reduction may change the solutions to the equation, so it's important to check the validity of the solutions after reducing the equation.