Position vs time graph that relates to a constant non-zero acceleration?

In summary, the top left graph has constant acceleration while the other two graphs have changing acceleration. In summary, the top left graph has constant acceleration while the other two graphs have changing acceleration.
gibson101
I know that a constant acceleration would mean that the position is changing, and the position would be moving, and the speed would be changing, (increasing). I would eliminate the far right two choices because the position is changing on them and they are moving at a constant speed, and a constant speed means that there isn't any acceleration, and for the same reason I would eliminate the far bottom left choice. Oh. and I'm not sure what it means by non-zero acceleration?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 6.39.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 6.39.19 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 15,169
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would eliminate the far right two choices because the position is changing on them and they are moving at a constant speed, and a constant speed means that there isn't any acceleration, and for the same reason I would eliminate the far bottom left choice.

That's right. Now we have to choose among the other five.

Oh. and I'm not sure what it means by non-zero acceleration?

The acceleration is not zero... that's it.

Now, all of the five remaining graphs are curved, so we know the slopes are changing, so they all have nonzero acceleration. However, not all of them have CONSTANT acceleration. We need to eliminate the graphs that have changing acceleration.

Here is one way to look at it. The acceleration is the rate of change of the velocity, which is the rate of change of the position. Your graphs are position versus time -- so velocity is given by the slope of the graph, and the acceleration is given by the change in the slope. If acceleration is constant, that means the change in the slope (not the slope itself) is always the same -- in other words, it is either always increasing or always decreasing. Which of the graphs satisfy this requirement?

Oh, so if it were zero then the object would still be moving , but it would just moving at a constant speed, and therefore have zero acceleration. And this would just be indicated with a horizontal line on the graph right?

the top far left and the top 3rd over?

horizontal line on an acceleration graph i mean

Need help with these two questions. I have what i thought was correct.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 7.58.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 7.58.51 PM.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,696
  • Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 8.02.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 8.02.29 PM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,886
  • Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 8.03.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 8.03.22 PM.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,965
anyone?

Wait, for the first graph, would the acceleration be constant? I actually think that was my mistake and that should be false, cause if it were constant then the line would be horizontal correct? NEVERMIND! I'm thinking of an acceleration graph, it's asking about the velocity vs time graph. The acceleration is constant because the line on the velocity graph (picture 1) is straight.

still need help on the three graphs above.

1. What is the slope of a position vs time graph that relates to a constant non-zero acceleration?

The slope of a position vs time graph that relates to a constant non-zero acceleration is equal to the velocity of the object. This means that the steeper the slope, the greater the object's velocity and the faster it is moving.

2. How can you determine the acceleration from a position vs time graph?

To determine the acceleration from a position vs time graph, you can find the slope of the line at any given point. This slope represents the object's velocity at that point, and since the acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, the slope also represents the object's acceleration at that point.

3. Can a position vs time graph show both positive and negative acceleration?

Yes, a position vs time graph can show both positive and negative acceleration. If the slope of the graph is positive, it means the object is moving in the positive direction with a positive acceleration. If the slope is negative, it means the object is moving in the negative direction with a negative acceleration.

4. How does the shape of a position vs time graph change with a constant non-zero acceleration?

The shape of a position vs time graph with a constant non-zero acceleration will be a straight line with a non-zero slope. This indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity, and the slope of the line represents the acceleration of the object.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and time on a position vs time graph?

The relationship between acceleration and time on a position vs time graph is that the acceleration is represented by the slope of the graph. This means that as time increases, the slope of the graph will either become steeper (indicating a larger acceleration) or shallower (indicating a smaller acceleration).