Finding the work function of a material

In summary, today in class a lab was conducted to calculate the stopping voltage of lights with different wavelengths. The goal was to determine the work function of the material and Planck's constant. However, it was found that the work function varied for each wavelength and the accuracy of the experiment can be assessed by calculating Planck's constant. It is important to introduce uncertainties in the readings in order to obtain more accurate results. The value of Planck's constant is 6.63 x 10^-34 Js.
mrsvonnegut

Homework Statement

So today in class we did a lab where we calculated the stopping voltage of lights of different wavelengths. We did this experimentally. I have the wavelength, frequency, and stopping voltage of four different lights. I need to calculate the work function of the material, and Planck's constant. 1) Every time I calculate the work function, it comes out different for each wavelength. Am I supposed to be getting the same work function for each light? 2) How could I calculate Planck's constant, isn't it a constant? Please help! Thank you.

Homework Equations

Work Function: hc/lambda minus the stopping voltage of the electron
Planck's constant: 4.1 x 10^-15
c=3.0 x 10^8

The Attempt at a Solution

Various work functions I've gotten have included 1.46 eV, 1.53 eV, and 1.76 eV.

Physics news on Phys.org
The work function is the same for a material, regardless of the type of light used. You might want to introduce uncertainties into your readings and see if the work functions you obtains overlap for different wavelengths. The point of calculating Planck's constant would be to assess the accuracy of your experiment. You can tell from the equation of the photoelectric effect that Planck's constant should be the slope of the kinetic energy (eV) versus frequency (f) graph.

Also the value of the constant is 6.63 x 10^-34 Js

Pi-Bond said:
The work function is the same for a material, regardless of the type of light used. You might want to introduce uncertainties into your readings and see if the work functions you obtains overlap for different wavelengths. The point of calculating Planck's constant would be to assess the accuracy of your experiment. You can tell from the equation of the photoelectric effect that Planck's constant should be the slope of the kinetic energy (eV) versus frequency (f) graph.

Also the value of the constant is 6.63 x 10^-34 Js

Thank you for your help! I'm not quite sure what you mean by introducing uncertainties. Also, the value I gave was in eV, but that's totally right for J/s!

Oh ok. By uncertainties I mean that you can't establish an exact value of your readings - you have to give a range. For example if you got a stopping voltage of 1.5 V, you can't just record that without introducing an uncertainty; like 1.5 ± 0.1 V. It's up to you to decide how uncertain your experiment was.

Oh I get it! Thank you so much, I think I'll get the right answer now.

What is the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the surface of that material. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV).

Why is it important to know the work function of a material?

The work function is important because it determines the ease with which electrons can be emitted from the surface of a material. This is crucial in various applications such as electronic devices, solar cells, and photocathodes.

How is the work function of a material measured?

The work function can be measured through a technique called photoemission spectroscopy, which involves shining light of varying energy onto the material's surface and measuring the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

What factors can affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material can be affected by factors such as the material's surface structure, its composition, and the presence of impurities. Temperature and electric fields can also influence the work function.

Is the work function of a material a constant value?

No, the work function of a material can vary depending on the conditions in which it is measured. It can also vary for different crystal orientations and surfaces of the same material.