Are Men on OKCupid Desperate for Attention?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of online dating and the experiences of the participants. The original poster shared their frustration with the lack of success on the dating site and their experiment of creating a fake profile of a girl to see the difference in attention. They also expressed annoyance towards men who only focus on physical appearance and don't bother to read the profile. Other participants shared their own experiences and opinions, with some humor sprinkled in. Overall, the conversation highlighted the shallowness and idiocy in the online dating world.

HeLiXe said:
Looks like you've got a date Pengy :tongue2:

bah!

Physics news on Phys.org

Since the talk of OKCupid I decided to take a look. I apparently signed up years ago to take their test because a friend posted it on their blog.

Any way I quickly remembered the reasons why I cringe to look at profiles. People who describe themselves as "random". People who use words incorrectly and note their higher education in the same sentence. People who don't list anything under favourite books. Or who do list favourite books that happen to be really bad. Or nothing but your standard "intellectual" classics. Or magazines... :-/

The funny part though was when they listed my ex girlfriend as a match. 84% match, 56% friend. And indeed we have not been friends.

Men are obviously not all pathetic though. Its like everything, the bad ones shout the loudest. Met a great guy today! I love it how physics guys describe non-science things using graphs!

nucleargirl said:
Men are obviously not all pathetic though. Its like everything, the bad ones shout the loudest. Met a great guy today! I love it how physics guys describe non-science things using graphs!

What did he graph?

several things, it was all a bit of a blurr to my non-math brain, but I like how he described the x-axis and y-axis and the use of words like plateau and exponential...

nucleargirl said:
several things, it was all a bit of a blurr to my non-math brain, but I like how he described the x-axis and y-axis and the use of words like plateau and exponential...

Did he perhaps graph this?

cell_phones.png

There's a plateau and an exponential in it...

Last edited:

lololz

nucleargirl said:

Thank god, so I'm not the only person who does this!

HeLiXe said:
lololz

Ah, HeLiXe, what's the DE for this? :biggrin:

*shudders*
You, my friend, are evil.

nucleargirl said:

This has a downside, though:

http://www.xkcd.com/523/

decline.png

hahahaha that's great!

lololll thanks for the link too!

party.png

perfect for micromass :biggrin:

HeLiXe said:
party.png

perfect for micromass :biggrin:

Or this one:

trolling.png