Vacuum tubes to semiconductors to ?

In summary, the conversation touches on the history of vacuum tubes and the rise of transistors and other semiconductor devices. The question is posed about potential replacements for semiconductors in the near future, considering the limitations of transistor size and the potential of quantum computing. The conversation also discusses reliable sources for information on this topic, and suggests starting with the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors. There is also a question about defining "near term" and "replacement" in terms of time frame and market impact.
wukunlin
Gold Member
This is something that has popped into my head recently.

afaik, vacuum tubes were once the most common device used for switching, and amplifying.
Then transistors and other semiconductor devices come along and almost wiped out vacuum tubes (not totally i think)

what I want to ask is:

is there any signs of replacements for semiconductors in the near future? I mean the size of transistors in cpu's seems to be approaching theoretical limit (tunnelling start to be significant for example), and I don't see quantum computing to be widespread (I think i also read somewhere on this forum that quantum computer's have very specific uses

where would be a good place (preferably free :P ) to find reliable information on topics like this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do vacuum tubes work?

Vacuum tubes are electronic devices that use a vacuum to control the flow of electrons. They consist of a heated cathode which emits electrons, and a positively charged anode which attracts the electrons. The flow of electrons between the cathode and anode can be controlled by adding additional elements, such as grids, to the tube.

2. What are the advantages of semiconductors over vacuum tubes?

Semiconductors are much smaller in size compared to vacuum tubes, making them more compact and efficient. They also require less power to operate and produce less heat. Additionally, semiconductors are more reliable and have a longer lifespan compared to vacuum tubes.

3. How do semiconductors work?

Semiconductors are made of materials, such as silicon or germanium, that have properties between those of conductors and insulators. When a voltage is applied, the electrons in the semiconductor can move between energy levels, allowing for the flow of electricity. This movement of electrons can be controlled by adding impurities, or dopants, to the material.

4. What are some common uses for semiconductors?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. They are also used in solar panels, LED lights, and various types of sensors. Additionally, semiconductors are an essential component in the production of integrated circuits, which are used in almost all electronic devices.

5. What advancements have been made in semiconductor technology?

Over the years, advancements in semiconductor technology have led to smaller and more powerful electronic devices. The development of new materials, such as gallium nitride and silicon carbide, has allowed for higher efficiency and faster processing speeds. The use of nanotechnology has also led to the creation of smaller and more complex integrated circuits.