Me trib, Me make fire. fire bad

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary: I'm trying to post at odd hours.In summary, the tribdog tried to light a block of magnesium with a sparker and it didn't work. He then found something else to burn and it started burning. When he picked up the burning object, it slid off his thumb and burned his hand.
tribdog
Okay, so I'm standing in the store minding my own business when I see a keychain that is really a Magnesium fire starter. Hey I thought that's cool, I think I'll buy that. so I shelled out the eight bucks and brought it home. The instructions on the back say that you are supposed to use a knife to shave a pile of magnesium off of the block, then turn the block around and run the knife along a striker imbedded there. Sparks hit the pile and poof, super hot fire. The magnesium block won't burn, but the pile does, says the instructions on the back.
I shaved and shaved and shaved the block and got a nice little pile of magnesium and then I sparked the sparker and poof fire. Cool.
That's when I started looking for something cool to burn. I didn't see anything, then I looked at the block of magnesium. Maybe the people who wrote the instructions couldn't light the block on fire, they weren't as resourceful as I was. They didn't think about shaving a nice size pile, then prying the striker off the block, then placing the pile on top of the block and sparking it.
I sparked the pile and poof, it started burning, and burning and then it went out. The block didn't catch on fire, then the piece of wood I had used to shield the carpet from the fire (I learned my lesson) started smoking. I picked it up to take it outside. I pulled the door, and the corner hit the piece of wood and the hot block of magnesium slid onto my thumb.
I made that magnesium burn...me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There you go again tribdog, bravely going where no product safety consultant would have ever thought anyone would be dumb enough to go before.

I don't suppose you stopped to think that had you lit the whole block, you would have been blinded?

Cold water (or cold compress) on the burned area for up to an hour.

Alovera ointment or cream. A friend also breaks Vitamin E capsules and rubs it into the skin.

If you got blisters, use a topical antibiotic.

franznietzsche said:
There you go again tribdog, bravely going where no product safety consultant would have ever thought anyone would be dumb enough to go before.

I don't suppose you stopped to think that had you lit the whole block, you would have been blinded?
Does it sound like I was thinking? do people who think do the crap I do?

Tribdog, have you ever filled a 55-Gal. drum full of gasoline, placed it over by the old G.M. proving grounds S. of Gilbert, then fired at it from a distance with a high-powered, scoped rifle? (me neither, I know nothing about the matter)

Men. :rolleyes:

BoulderHead said:
Tribdog, have you ever filled a 55-Gal. drum full of gasoline, placed it over by the old G.M. proving grounds S. of Gilbert, then fired at it from a distance with a high-powered, scoped rifle? (me neither, I know nothing about the matter)
as a matter of fact I was over there about a week ago, no gas or gun however.

It's not as bad as I expected. When you started the story with a block of magnesium fire starter, I was wondering if you'd burned down your building and were posting from some public library or homeless shelter tonight. :biggrin:

Don't you know yet not to play with fire?

(Please, server gods, let me post this! I haven't been able to post all night. :cry:)

Woo hoo! Never underestimate the power of prayer. :rofl: I'm so addicted to PF and it's been driving me crazy that I haven't been able to get a single message to post all night! Greg must have finally found a gremlin exterminator for me. Yay!

I too was having trouble with PF last night.

It always scares me when people I'm not expecting to say anything suddenly pop up and comment on something in one of my threads. I don't really believe that that many people read what I write. I'm sort of background noise. I voted for Gokul in like 5 out of the 9 categories, so I see him in here commenting in my thread and I don't know if I'm honored that he stopped by, or saddened that a genius has lowered himself to wallow through my mouth poo.

lol, what does that tell you about how I feel about the regulars in my threads?

Gokul43201 said:
I too was having trouble with PF last night.

Must have been some relay between OH and wherever PF lives that was screwed up then. I don't know if relay is the right term, but something where the signal from my computer gets directed out in the direction of the PF server. Wish I had known it was an OH problem, I wouldn't have needed to bug Greg panicking that something got screwed up in my user settings and having him call out the gremlin exterminators. But I was starting to get the DTs from PF withdrawal!

tribdog, are you saying the rest of us who reply to your threads are doo doo? :frown: More like easily amused. :biggrin: I think I better get back to building that shrine. :rofl:

Nah Moonbear, trib just likes to pull my leg every so often :biggrin:

The unexpected is what propels the mysterious tribdog aura. "How is it", you may have asked yourself "that on the one hand, he can be clever and witty, while on the other, use a piece of wood as a flame retardant ?" It's all a part of the tribdog mystique.

Last edited:

What is this statement referring to?

This statement is referring to the process of early humans discovering fire and the potential dangers associated with it.

Why do you think early humans were afraid of fire?

Early humans were likely afraid of fire because they did not fully understand how it worked and the potential dangers it posed. They may have also witnessed or experienced incidents where fire caused harm or destruction.

How did early humans learn to make fire?

Early humans likely learned to make fire through experimentation and observation. They may have noticed that rubbing certain types of sticks or stones together created sparks and eventually learned to control and use those sparks to create fire.

What are some benefits of using fire?

Using fire has many benefits, including providing light and warmth, cooking food, and keeping predators away. It also allowed early humans to expand their diet by cooking and preserving different types of food.

Why is fire still important to us today?

Fire is still important to us today for many reasons. It is used for cooking, heating, and generating electricity. It is also a vital tool in industries such as agriculture and manufacturing. Additionally, fire is used for recreational and cultural purposes, such as bonfires and ceremonies.