Domain of g(t): All Real Numbers

In summary, the function g(x)=(x-5)/sinx has a domain of all real numbers except for integer multiples of pi, which can be expressed as {x \in R | x \neq k\pi, k an integer}.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

Use set or interval notation to give the domain of the function:

g(t)=(x-5)/sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking at this, I recognize that x cannot be 0,180,360, etc... it's just putting this into set or interval notation that confuses me. Also, I notice that g is a function of t which is not in the equation, would that therefore mean that the domain can be all real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement

Use set or interval notation to give the domain of the function:

g(t)=(x-5)/sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking at this, I recognize that x cannot be 0,180,360, etc... it's just putting this into set or interval notation that confuses me. Also, I notice that g is a function of t which is not in the equation, would that therefore mean that the domain can be all real numbers?
Your function should be g(x), not g(t), since t doesn't appear in the formula on the right side.

Instead of 0, 180, 360, etc. degrees, you should be thinking in terms of radians. The sine function is zero at integer multiples of π, so these will not be in the domain.

Mod note: As this does not appear to be a calculus-related question, I am moving it to the Precalc section.

Hmm, I wonder if I can argue for the marks back then if it's a typo.

Anyways, thanks for the help Mark. Substituting 0, 180, and 360 for 0, pi, 2pi, etc...
I do understand what it cannot be, just putting it into interval notation is confusing me. I guess I'm thinking as x can increase without bounds, but 2pi essentially = 0pi.

Would it be something like: (2pi, pi)U(pi, 0)?

You have your intervals backwards - they should be (0, [itex]\pi[/itex]) U ([itex]\pi[/itex], 2[itex]\pi[/itex]) U ...

But this doesn't include the intervals on the left side of 0. A better way is to write it {x [itex]\in[/itex] R | x [itex]\neq[/itex] k[itex]\pi[/itex], k an integer}.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks again for the help Mark.

1. What does "Domain of g(t): All Real Numbers" mean?

The domain of a function refers to the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In this case, the domain of g(t) is all real numbers, meaning that any real number can be used as an input for the function.

2. Can the domain of g(t) be restricted to a certain set of numbers?

Yes, the domain of g(t) can be restricted to a certain set of numbers. For example, if we have the function g(t) = 1/t, the domain can be restricted to all real numbers except for t = 0, since the function is undefined at that point.

3. What are some examples of functions with a domain of all real numbers?

Some examples include linear functions (such as g(t) = t), quadratic functions (such as g(t) = t^2), and trigonometric functions (such as g(t) = sin(t)).

4. How is the domain of a function determined?

The domain of a function is determined by looking at the set of possible input values that will not result in an undefined output. This can include restrictions such as square roots of negative numbers, division by zero, or logarithms of non-positive numbers.

5. Is the domain of g(t) the same as the range?

No, the domain and range of a function are two different concepts. The domain refers to the set of input values, while the range refers to the set of output values. In some cases, the domain and range may have the same values, but this is not always the case.