Computation of Solar Position and Velocity Vectors (Meteor Orbit)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the heliocentric position and velocity of a meteor to compute its orbit. The source for this information is given as Herget, 1953. The book was written in the late 60s and uses a real example, but does not provide the vectors for CE 1955 October 20 07:53:32.6 UT. The possibility of deriving the velocity vector from the cross product of the position vector and the pole of the ecliptic is mentioned, with a potential method from Jean Meeus's Astro Formulae for Calcs. The conversation also notes that r-bar-prime_m, r'-bar_m is known from equation 79 on page 37 of the book.
solarblast
I'm looking at some code from a book that details uses the heliocentric position and velocity to compute an orbit of a meteor. See attached pages. At the top of the section at mid-page, page 37, he gives a source, Herget, 1953, Solar Coordinates 1800-2000.

The book was written in the late 60s, and uses a real example, but does not provide the vectors for CE 1955 October 20 07:53:32.6 UT.

From my distant past, I have some minor understanding of what's going on. To get matters moving, I need to find the two vectors. Well, one is easy. I happened to have the solar position vector for 1955 from a 1955 Nautical Almanac, USNO publisher.

A possibility exists that the velocity vector may be derived from the cross product of the position vector and the pole of the ecliptic. The latter should be expressed in Earth centric coordinates. The only clue I have to possibly pull that off is in Jean Meeus's Astro Formulae for Calcs, fourth edition, pf 43. Maybe eqs 8.3 and 8.4 might do the trick, if I assume some appropriate lambda and beta. Comments?

Note that r-bar-prime_m, r'-bar_m, is known from eq 79 on page 37 of the book.

I've provided several relevant pages from the book. For the curious, I've provided 38 to 40 for those who might be interested in knowing how the orbit was calculated from these vectors. The method is that of Herget. Note that items like r-bar are vectors, r-bar-prime are velocity vectors, and notation like a b sin(theta) mean a*b*sin(theta).

I see I can only upload 3 files, so I'll do page 60 next.

Attachments

• WrayBook057.jpg
    WrayBook057.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 501
  • WrayBook058.jpg
    WrayBook058.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 546
  • WrayBook059.jpg
    WrayBook059.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 533
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Book page 40.

Attachments

• WrayBook060.jpg
    WrayBook060.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 499

1. How is the solar position and velocity vector of a meteor calculated?

The solar position and velocity vector of a meteor is calculated using mathematical equations based on the laws of planetary motion. These equations take into account the position and velocity of the Earth, Sun, and meteor in relation to each other.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of the calculated solar position and velocity vector?

The accuracy of the calculated solar position and velocity vector can be affected by factors such as the precision of the meteor's observed trajectory, the accuracy of the Earth and Sun's positions, and any disturbances or perturbations from other celestial bodies.

3. Can the solar position and velocity vector of a meteor change over time?

Yes, the solar position and velocity vector of a meteor can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system. However, these changes are usually small and can be accounted for in the calculations.

4. How is the solar position and velocity vector used in determining the orbit of a meteor?

The solar position and velocity vector is used as one of the inputs in the calculation of a meteor's orbit. By combining this vector with other observed data, such as the meteor's trajectory and velocity, the orbit of the meteor can be determined.

5. How does the computation of solar position and velocity vectors for meteors contribute to our understanding of the solar system?

The computation of solar position and velocity vectors for meteors helps us to better understand the dynamics of our solar system. By studying the orbits of meteors, we can gain insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system, as well as potential hazards from near-Earth objects.