Making a pan flute. Need help.

• Thread starter Eliowns
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is making a pan flute for their physics class and initially used 8 thin straws cut to specific lengths based on wavelength. However, the flute does not produce any sound and they believe the issue may be with the straws. They plan on trying bigger straws or potentially using copper pipes for better resonance.
Eliowns
I need to make a pan flute for my physics class, I've already made one but decided that I will be remaking it because it didn't turn out too good. I took 8 straws, got my wavelengths from here: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html and divided them by 4 to get the length I need to cut the straws (I started from C5), then I covered the button with plasticine and taped them together. Now my problem is, I can blow and get the notes however it doesn't make any sound. (if that makes any sense). I figured the straws I used were too thin in diameter so I asked my mom to get bigger straws if she can find any. (such as milkshake straws or straws from McDonalds).
Was that my problem? Or am I doing something wrong? People in my class got their flutes to sound really nice so I asked my teacher to do it on monday, even though I'll get some marks deducted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get hold of some copper pipe? That should make a nice pan flute, and the diameters would be sufficient to allow you to blow across the pipes with better accuracy, so it will sound better. Using plastic straws is a recipe for weak tone and uncertain resonance.

If you don't have access to some scrap metal pipe, perhaps there is hard plastic tubing that could suffice, but metal is probably better in terms of resonance.

Good luck.

1. How do I make a pan flute?

Making a pan flute involves cutting and shaping several pieces of bamboo or other material into different lengths and attaching them together using string or glue. You can also use PVC pipes or straws for a simpler version.

2. What materials do I need to make a pan flute?

The materials needed for making a pan flute include bamboo or other hollow tubes, string or glue for attaching the tubes, a saw or knife for cutting the tubes to different lengths, and a ruler for measuring the lengths accurately.

3. How many pipes should a pan flute have?

The number of pipes in a pan flute can vary, but traditionally it has 13 pipes. However, you can experiment with different numbers to create different sounds and pitches.

4. Can I use any type of bamboo for making a pan flute?

Ideally, you should use bamboo that is at least 1 inch in diameter and has a uniform wall thickness. However, you can also use other materials such as PVC pipes, straws, or even recycled materials like plastic bottles or cardboard tubes.

5. Do I need to have musical experience to make a pan flute?

No, you do not need to have any musical experience to make a pan flute. However, some basic knowledge of music theory and understanding of different pitches and scales can help in creating a well-tuned pan flute.