Proof: Closedness of Non-Empty Set of Complex Numbers F

• Thread starter arpitm08
  • Start date
In summary: I don't understand what "every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F" means.
arpitm08

Homework Statement

Prove that a non-empty set of complex numbers F is closed iff every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the second part of the iff statement. If someone could clarify what it means about convergent sequences, I could go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
arpitm08 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that a non-empty set of complex numbers F is closed iff every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the second part of the iff statement. If someone could clarify what it means about convergent sequences, I could go from there.

Not sure what you call the "second part". You have to show two statements:

1. If every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F, then F is closed.

2. If F is closed, then every convergent sequence of elements in F converges to an element of F.

I don't understand what "every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F" means.

Well, {1/n} n=1,... is a sequence of elements in the interval (0,1), and the

sequence converges to ___ which is in ____...

it converges to 0, which is in the interval, or the border of the interval. But 0 isn't an element of that sequence though.

Actually, 0 is _not_ in the interval. Remember:

(0,1):={ x: 0<x<1 } , which does not include 0 . Tho this is just for the

real line.

So how does that example work in this situation then. We needed a sequence who's limit is an element of the sequence.

I was trying to illustrate a familiar case in which a sequence defined on S does not

converge to a point in S. What is your book's definition of closed set ?

We don't have a book, but basically a closed set is one where the boundary of the set is contained in the set.

Maybe this is the nicest , more general way of doing things:

If F is closed in ℂ , then U:= ℂ\F is open . Since U is ( U are? ) open, if x is in U ,

then there is a 'hood ( neighborhood) of x contained in U , i.e., ( in this context) a

ball B(x,r) contained in U . What would happen if x was a limit point of some sequence

{fn} in F , could you find such a ball ?

Sorry, LCKurtz, I did not mean to strong-arm myself into the post and take-it over.

Bacle2 said:
Sorry, LCKurtz, I did not mean to strong-arm myself into the post and take-it over.

No problem. I have been gone all afternoon anyway. And judging from the responses, it may take both of us to explain the concept.

arpitm08 said:
I don't understand what "every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F" means.

F is a subset. Every convergent sequence in F has a limit. This limit may or may not be in F. Look at Bacle's example on the real line. If F = (0,1) and ##x_n=\frac 1 {n+1}## then ##x_n\rightarrow 0##, which is not in F. So F isn't closed. Such limits must all be in F if F is to be closed. If F = [0,1], then it is closed, as an example.

1. What is a closed set of complex numbers?

A closed set of complex numbers is a set that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, every limit point of the set is also an element of the set.

2. How do you prove that a set of complex numbers is closed?

To prove that a set of complex numbers is closed, you must show that it contains all of its boundary points. This can be done by either showing that every limit point of the set is an element of the set, or by showing that the complement of the set is open.

3. What is the definition of a limit point?

A limit point of a set is a point that can be approached arbitrarily closely by elements of the set. In other words, every neighborhood of the point contains at least one element of the set.

4. Can a set of complex numbers be both open and closed?

No, a set of complex numbers cannot be both open and closed. This is because an open set does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set does.

5. Are all non-empty sets of complex numbers closed?

No, not all non-empty sets of complex numbers are closed. For example, the set of all complex numbers with a real part greater than or equal to 0 is not closed, as it does not contain all of its boundary points.