Finding material thickness on cylindrical shells

In summary, the poster has been tasked with finding the material thickness for a cylindrical shell with open ends and has been given the internal pressure, cylinder inside diameter, Poisson's ratio, and allowable tensile strength. They have used Birnie's equation to solve for the thickness, but are looking for alternative equations to compare their results. Suggestions for alternative equations include the Lamé equation and Barlow's formula. It is recommended to consult with colleagues or materials engineering resources to determine the most appropriate equation for the specific task. The poster is also seeking guidance on how to post in the correct forum area.
iask2learn
I have been tasked to find the material thickness needed for a cylindrical shell with open ends. I have been given the internal pressure, the cylinder inside diameter, the Poisson's ratio and the allowable tensile strength.

I have used Birnie's equation to solve (see attached file in thread: "Thick-walled cylinder material thickness")

I believe the equation has been solved but would like to know if there is a different way to achieve the same, or different results and be able to compare. I am doubtful that the formula above may be too generic. Any direction on this?

Pls forgive me... I have posted the same issue in thread: Thick-walled cylinder material thickness. I don't mean to break any rules, I just don't know how to post in the correct area. Please help me by either showing me the steps to post correctly in the correct area or by moving this thread for me to where it's supposed to be. Thnx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with your task. First of all, I want to commend you for using Birnie's equation to solve for the material thickness of the cylindrical shell. This is a valid and widely used equation for this purpose.

However, if you are looking for a different approach or equation to compare your results, there are a few other equations that you could consider. One alternative is the Lamé equation, which is commonly used to calculate the stresses in a thick-walled cylinder. This equation takes into account the internal pressure, cylinder inside diameter, and Poisson's ratio, but it also requires the Young's modulus of the material.

Another option is the Barlow's formula, which is commonly used for thin-walled cylinders. This equation is simpler and only requires the internal pressure, cylinder inside diameter, and the material's yield strength.

To determine which equation would be most appropriate for your specific task, I would suggest consulting with your colleagues or a materials engineering handbook. It may also be helpful to consider the intended use and conditions of the cylindrical shell, as this could affect the choice of equation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your task. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. As for posting in the correct area, I would recommend starting a new thread in the appropriate forum category and including a brief description of your topic in the title. Thank you for your understanding and I wish you all the best in your research.

1. How do you measure the thickness of a cylindrical shell?

The thickness of a cylindrical shell can be measured using a caliper or a micrometer. These tools allow for precise measurements of the diameter and circumference of the shell, which can then be used to calculate the thickness.

2. Can the thickness of a cylindrical shell vary?

Yes, the thickness of a cylindrical shell can vary depending on the material and manufacturing process. It is important to measure the thickness at multiple points along the shell to ensure accuracy.

3. What is the recommended method for finding material thickness on cylindrical shells?

The recommended method for finding material thickness on cylindrical shells is by using ultrasonic testing. This non-destructive testing technique can accurately measure the thickness of the shell without damaging it.

4. Are there any challenges in finding material thickness on cylindrical shells?

Yes, there can be challenges in finding material thickness on cylindrical shells, especially if the shell is made of a material that is difficult to measure or has complex geometry. In these cases, it may be necessary to use alternative methods such as x-ray imaging or electromagnetic testing.

5. How important is it to accurately measure the thickness of a cylindrical shell?

Accurately measuring the thickness of a cylindrical shell is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the shell. It is also important for quality control purposes in manufacturing to ensure that the shell meets the required specifications.