How to extract a subspace

• Thread starter weetabixharry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to transform a (3 x N) matrix of column rank 2, where each column represents a point in 3-space, into a (2 x N) matrix of x-y coordinates while preserving the shape. The suggested solution involves using the pseudoinverse of an orthonormal basis spanning the 2D column space of the matrix. However, the reasoning behind this solution is not fully understood and further discussion is needed.
weetabixharry
I have a (3 x N) matrix of column rank 2. If each column is treated as a point in 3-space, then connecting the points draws out some planar shape.

What operation can I apply such that this planar shape is transformed onto the x-y axis, so that the shape is exactly the same, but is now described fully by x-y coordinates in a (2 x N) matrix?

I feel like there should be a (2 x 3) matrix that would do this, but I can't figure out what it should be. (I have a hunch that I'm looking for a mapping that is isometric and conformal... some kind of rotation?). Also, I'd like to be able to generalise to higher dimensions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have found a solution, but would appreciate any further discussion... since my understanding is rather weak. I basically started thinking about pseudoinverses and figured I wanted a pseudoinverse of something orthonormal, to avoid distorting my shape (?).

Let's call my (3 x N) matrix A. To get an orthonormal basis spanning the (2D) column space, I eigendecompose AAT and take the eigenvectors associated with the 2 largest eigenvalues, denoted by the (3 x 2) matrix E2.

Finally, I left-multiply A by the pseudoinverse of E2:

A2D = E2+A

which seems to give the desired 2D representation.

weetabixharry said:
A2D = E2+A

which seems to give the desired 2D representation.

Of course, this can be simplified as:[tex]\begin{eqnarray*}
\mathbf{A}_{2D} &=&\mathbf{E}_{2}^{+}\mathbf{A} \\
&=&\left( \mathbf{E}_{2}^{T}\mathbf{E}_{2}\right)^{-1} \mathbf{E}_{2}^{T}\mathbf{A%
} \\
&=&\mathbf{E}_{2}^{T}\mathbf{A}
\end{eqnarray*}[/tex]
However, I still don't really have an intuitive idea for why this works. Perhaps I should re-ask the question in Linear Algebra.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of vectors in a basis for that subspace. To determine the dimension, you can find a set of linearly independent vectors in the subspace and count the number of vectors in that set.

3. What is the process for extracting a subspace?

The process of extracting a subspace involves finding a set of vectors that span the subspace and then reducing that set to a basis for the subspace. This can be done through methods such as Gaussian elimination or finding eigenvectors.

4. How does extracting a subspace relate to data analysis?

Extracting a subspace is a common technique in data analysis, particularly in dimensionality reduction. By extracting a subspace that captures the most important features of a dataset, we can reduce the dimensionality of the data while still retaining most of the information.

5. Can a subspace be extracted from any dataset?

No, a subspace can only be extracted from a dataset if the underlying data follows certain mathematical properties. For example, the data must be represented as vectors and must satisfy the properties of a vector space. Additionally, the subspace must be a meaningful representation of the data for the extraction process to be useful.