How change from one to another coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of coordinates from the (r,s) system to the (x,y) system and then to the (ζ,η) system. The use of a Jacobian matrix is mentioned for integrating a function over the new region. Helpful links and answers are welcomed, and a parametrization formula and the Jacobian matrix are provided as a solution to the problem. The conversation also clarifies the use of the parameter t in the equation for converting coordinates.
soks
Hello!

I have a problem. How can I convert a left part from picture which is in coordinate system
(r, s) to coordinate system (x, y) and then to coordinate system (ζ, η) (right part). I need Jacobian matrix because of integration some function above this region.

Any helpful links or answers are welcome.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3074/20121122230303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a parametrization for your new coordinates (e.g. x=r cos(t), y=r sin(t), the new coordinates are:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}x'\\y'\end{array}\right)=det(Jacobian(x,y)) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Where the Jacobian is merely:

[tex]J=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\\\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Thanks for answer.

Is parameter t in equation x = r cos(t) angle phi in the picture?

Yes, but this was the general formula. In your case, you are going from r,phi to x,y so you should take the inverse equations, i.e.

[tex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2) , t=atan(y/x)[/tex]

You would then have r,t on the left hand side of the equation and the new Jacobian times x,y on the other one.

Ok. Thank you

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system that allows us to locate points in space using coordinates. It is used to represent the position, orientation, and size of objects in a defined space.

What are the different types of coordinate systems?

There are many types of coordinate systems, but the most commonly used ones are Cartesian, polar, and spherical coordinate systems. Each system has its own unique way of defining coordinates and is used for different purposes.

How do I convert from one coordinate system to another?

The process of converting from one coordinate system to another involves using mathematical equations and formulas specific to each coordinate system. It is important to understand the principles and equations of each system before attempting to convert between them.

Why is it important to be able to change coordinate systems?

Being able to change coordinate systems is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It allows us to analyze and describe objects and phenomena from different perspectives, making it easier to understand and solve problems.

What are some real-world applications of coordinate systems?

Coordinate systems have many practical applications in fields such as navigation, mapping, and GPS technology. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and in geographic information systems (GIS) to analyze and visualize data.