Deriving the equation of points for exact fitting and shape analysis

In summary, the conversation is discussing methods for finding the equation of a closed curve passing through a set of known points, as well as finding an average curve that best approximates a set of similar curves. Suggestions for solving this problem include using Lagrange polynomials, splines, and Bezier curves.
giusyvenezia
Hello,

I would like to ask you some questions.

1) I've a closed curve (for example an ellipse, which may represent the contour of an object) represented by the set of its (known) points. I need to find the equation of that curve to pass through all and every point (exact fit). I think that to do this I need a polynomial whose grade is equal to the number of points less 1.

Something like this:

a0+a1 x1+a2 x1^2+ ...+ an x1^n = y1
a0+a2 x2+a2 x2^2+ ...+ an x2^n = y2
a0+a2 xn+a2 xn^2+ ...+ an xn^n = yn

This argument is right? Do you have suggestions (or anything else relevant) for me in this regard for which is the best way to solve my problem? This equation can be made in parametric form?

2) After I got the exact equation of this curve. Suppose we have a set of curves very similar to each other (represented by their equation), I would like to find the equation that represents the shape which best approaches to all previous curves, a sort of average curve created from those previously acquired.
Do you know if this thing can be done and how? What is the best way (most efficient and / or mathematically more correct) to do this?

Best Regards,

Giusy

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you want. Given any finite number of points, there exist an infinite number of smooth curves passing through those points. In particular, given n points, there exist a unique n- 1 degree polynomial giving those points. The "Lagrange Polynomial", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_polynomial, is probably the simplest method in concept though not always simplest to compute.

If you have matlab, you can also fit a spline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-spline

Bezier curves are also widely used. These are two of the most popular methods for these kinds of problems and are commonly used to generate the equation for a smooth solid body, e.g. an airfoil profile. They are a bit involved to code, but you can still use software to generate the functions for you.

Hello Giusy,

Thank you for your questions. To answer your first question, the approach you have described is correct. To find the equation of a curve that passes through a set of points, you can use polynomial interpolation. This involves finding a polynomial function of degree n-1 (where n is the number of points) that passes through all of the points. This can be done by solving a system of equations, as you described. This equation can also be written in parametric form, where x and y are both functions of a parameter t, such as in the case of an ellipse.

To address your second question, what you are describing is known as shape analysis or shape averaging. This involves finding a common shape or average shape among a set of similar curves. There are various mathematical approaches to solving this problem, including using statistical methods or geometric methods. Some common techniques include principal component analysis (PCA) and dynamic time warping (DTW). These methods involve analyzing the variability and similarity among the curves to find a common shape or average curve. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific characteristics of your data and the desired outcome. Further research in this area may help you determine the best approach for your specific problem.

I hope this helps and wish you the best in your research.

Best regards,

1. What is the purpose of deriving the equation of points for exact fitting and shape analysis?

The purpose of deriving the equation of points for exact fitting and shape analysis is to mathematically describe the relationship between a set of data points and a particular shape or curve. This equation can then be used to accurately fit the data points and analyze the shape or curve, providing valuable insights and information.

2. How is the equation of points derived for exact fitting and shape analysis?

The equation of points is typically derived using mathematical techniques such as regression analysis or curve fitting. These methods involve finding the best-fitting curve or line that passes through all the given data points, minimizing the distance between the points and the curve.

3. Can the equation of points be used for any type of data set?

Yes, the equation of points can be used for any type of data set as long as there is a relationship between the data points and a particular shape or curve. However, the accuracy and applicability of the equation may vary depending on the complexity and variability of the data.

4. What are the benefits of using the equation of points for exact fitting and shape analysis?

Using the equation of points allows for a more precise and objective analysis of data. It also provides a mathematical representation of the relationship between the data points and the shape, making it easier to interpret and communicate the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation of points for exact fitting and shape analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the equation of points. It may not be suitable for highly irregular or noisy data sets, and the accuracy of the equation may be affected by outliers or missing data. Additionally, the equation may not fully capture all the complexities of the shape being analyzed.