Circles on XY, YZ and XZ planes from a Sphere

In summary, the goal is to find the equations for the circles created when a sphere intersects with the XY, YZ, and XZ planes in a 3D cuboid. The equations for these circles involve the unknowns x, y, and z, and may also involve the radius and center of the sphere. To find the equation for the circle, you will need to combine the equation for the sphere and the equation for the specific plane it intersects with (e.g. z=0 for the XY plane). The cuboid has six planes, two for each coordinate axis, and each sphere may intersect with different combinations of these planes.
sijad
I want to find the equations for the circles (formed on the planes) when a sphere cuts the XY, YZ and XZ planes. What I am trying to achieve is a software application that will have a 3D cuboid and inside this cuboid there will be many spheres. Now I want to find the circles created by these spheres when they intersect with the planes. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any sphere? Then you'll have some equation in the unknowns x,y,z that defines which points (x,y,z) belong to the sphere. The points in the XY plane also must fulfil z=0, so you'll get a new equation in x and y only. That describes the first circle you're looking for.

Suppose there is a sphere with a certain radius in this cuboid and it only intersects with the YZ plane. There is another sphere that has some radius and it intersects with any two planes and so on...

I'm not quite sure what you're starting off with. When you have a sphere of radius r and centre (cx,cy,cz), this sphere is formed of all points (x,y,z) with (x-cx)2+(y-cy)2+(z-cz)2=r2. The points on the XY plane also fulfil the equation z=0. Put those two together, and you get (x-cx)2+(y-cy)2=r2, i.e. the equation of the circle in which the sphere intersects the plane.

Is that what you meant?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Michael for your replies and help. If I have a cuboid (front, back, top, bottom, left and right planes) will there be two XY (front OR back), two YZ(left OR right) and two XZ (top OR bottom) planes ? Or am I thinking wrong.

Now keeping my confusion in mind, can you tell me if the sphere intersects the XY plane (which I am thinking of as the front OR back), does your previous answer hold. I mean the equation you had provided. I think you will need to explain to me like a child :-)

1. What is the relationship between a sphere and circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes?

The circle formed on the XY plane from a sphere is the intersection of the sphere and the plane. Similarly, the circles on the YZ and XZ planes are the intersections of the sphere with those respective planes.

2. How do the radii of the circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes relate to the radius of the sphere?

The radii of the circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes are all equal to the radius of the sphere. This is because the circle is formed by the intersection of the sphere with a plane that passes through its center.

3. Can the circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes have different radii?

No, the circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes will always have the same radius. This is a property of a sphere and its intersections with planes.

4. What is the shape of the cross-section formed by cutting a sphere with a plane?

The cross-section formed by cutting a sphere with a plane is always a circle. This is true for any plane that passes through the center of the sphere.

5. How do the circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes change if the sphere is rotated or translated?

The circles on the XY, YZ, and XZ planes will remain the same size and shape if the sphere is rotated or translated. This is because the intersection of a sphere and a plane is always a circle, regardless of the position of the sphere.