How do halogens appear in nature?

• Thread starter quicksilver123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, Astintine is a halogen that I'm not sure if its the molecule or atom. However, it is likely that it has some of the physical and atomic properties of other halogens.
quicksilver123
i've been given an assignment in which I'm supposed to find some characteristics of different halogens.

they're all listed as atoms paired with themselves.
eg.
F2
I2
ect

are halogens normally expressed this way?

Specifically, I was asked to investigate Astintine. However, I wasn't told whether its the astintine molecule or atom.
Assuming its the molecule, would it be:
At2 ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So, what is the question, because you asked for something else in the subject, and then for something else in the body?

It won't let me edit it.

Do halogens appear this way in nature?
(also, the body question)

You should know that element 85 is astatine, not astintine.

I don't know what 'ect' stands for, but 'et cetera' is abbreviated 'etc.'

Halogens only occur as compounds in nature due to their high reactivity.

However if you are talking about the chemical properties of pure astatine you could get a general idea of what they must be by looking at the trends observed in the other elements as you move down the group from Fluorine to Iodine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen#Physical_and_atomic
That will give you a simple table showing the chemical properties of the other halogens.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group7/properties.html
Or that goes into a bit more detail and explains why some of the trends occur.

I don't know what 'ect' stands for, but 'et cetera' is abbreviated 'etc.'
unhelpful troll is unhelpful

i'm a chem noob. thanks for the links

trollcast said:
Halogens only occur as compounds in nature due to their high reactivity.
Oddly, even the most active element, fluorine, occurs free in the natural mineral stinkspar!
trollcast said:
However if you are talking about the chemical properties of pure astatine you could get a general idea of what they must be by looking at the trends observed in the other elements as you move down the group from Fluorine to Iodine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen#Physical_and_atomic
That will give you a simple table showing the chemical properties of the other halogens.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group7/properties.html
Or that goes into a bit more detail and explains why some of the trends occur.

Yes, but the properties of free astatine are somewhat difficult to ascertain due to the difficulties in producing and keeping bulk quantities.

Looking at the other main groups:
In Group 4, all elements from C to Sn inclusive form covalent bond networks with 4 covalently bound nearest neighbours - but Sn also has metallic forms with 6 nearest neighbours, and Pb always is face-centered cubic with 12 nearest neighbours.
In Group 5, yellow phosphorus consists of P4 molecules but these get crosslinked on prolonged heating; yellow arsenic gets crosslinked rapidly; Sb4 molecules may not even exist in condensed form; Bi has only one allotrope which is clearly metallic
In Group 6, S8 molecules are, on low temperature, more stable than long chains. Se8 molecules can be isolated, but on heating they convert to the stable long spiral packing; Te only occurs in the (covalent, semiconductive) packing of chains; but Po has 2 allotropes which are both clearly metal.

So... would At condense into weak crystals of At2 molecules? Or would they find ways to crosslink into some kinds of covalent nonmetal, semimetal or metal networks?

1. What are halogens?

Halogens are a group of chemical elements that include fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine. They are highly reactive nonmetals that are found in group 17 of the periodic table.

2. How do halogens appear in nature?

Halogens are primarily found in nature as compounds, rather than as pure elements. They are most commonly found in salt deposits, seawater, and minerals such as fluorite, halite, and sylvite. They can also be found in the atmosphere, soil, and living organisms.

3. What is the most abundant halogen in nature?

The most abundant halogen in nature is chlorine. It is found in large quantities in seawater, where it makes up about 0.19% of its composition.

4. How are halogens extracted from natural sources?

Halogens are typically extracted from their natural sources through a variety of methods, such as evaporation, mining, and chemical reactions. For example, chlorine can be extracted from seawater through electrolysis, while fluorine is extracted from the mineral fluorspar through a process called fluoridation.

5. What are the main uses of halogens?

Halogens have many important industrial and commercial uses. Chlorine is used to purify water and produce plastics, while fluorine is used in refrigerants and non-stick coatings. Bromine is used in flame retardants and photography, and iodine is used in medicine and photography. Astatine, the rarest halogen, has very limited applications due to its high radioactivity.