Aluminium alloy will change strength

In summary, the strength (yield/ultimate) of an Aluminium alloy may change when subjected to varying loads instead of a static one. This could be due to factors such as cyclic loading past the elastic limit, the Bauschinger Effect, or work hardening. The combination AlCu4Mg2 is believed to be the strongest Al alloy, but there are many different alloys to consider. In terms of cyclic loading, the S-N curve for the material should be consulted to determine the endurance limit and potential changes in strength. Continuously cycling past the yield point can result in strain hardening and increased strength, but also reduced fatigue life and increased brittleness.
TSN79
Is it the case that an Aluminium alloy will change strength (yield/ultimate) if subjectet to a varying load instead of a static one? I can't quite see why it should...can someone help me with this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to phrase your question a bit better. Are you talking about cyclic loads past the elastic limit? Are you referring to an S-N curve issue? Or are you possible talking about work hardening?

I suspect it is the former.

(TSN, you could look up "fatigue" and its origin in the "Bauschinger Effect". )

On the other hand, several Al-alloys are strengthened by work hardening...

Well, I have two questions to answer. First, which Al alloy is the strongest, and in what region would the yield/ultimate strengths for this alloy lie?
Second, Is this region the same if the alloy is subjectet to cyclic loads instead of static loads?

On the first question I suspect the combination AlCu4Mg2 is the strongest, but I'm not at all sure...

There are so many different alloys of aluminum out there, this is a bit of a tough question to answer.

Of the basic alloys that I am familiar with, 7001-T6 has the highest tensile strength of approximately 97 ksi. 7001-T6 is a zinc-copper-magnesium alloy that is age hardened.

In terms of cyclic loading, this is where you will want to look up an S-N curve for that material. The endurance limit for this alloy is 21.8 ksi which, as shown is for 500x10^6 cycles (infinite life). To answer your question, it will depend on how much load you are cyclically placing on the material. If you are continuously cycling past the yield point, you will strain hardent the material. In that case it will become stronger, but also much more brittle and, obviously, the fatigue life drops.

1. How will aluminium alloy change in strength?

The strength of aluminium alloy will increase due to the addition of other elements such as copper, magnesium, or silicon. These elements form intermetallic compounds that strengthen the alloy.

2. Will the change in strength affect the weight of aluminium alloy?

Yes, the increase in strength will also result in a decrease in weight. This is because the alloy can now withstand higher loads with less material, making it more lightweight.

3. Can aluminium alloy still be easily formed and molded after the change in strength?

Yes, the strength of aluminium alloy does not affect its formability. The alloy can still be easily formed and molded into various shapes and sizes without compromising its strength.

4. How will the change in strength affect the cost of aluminium alloy?

The cost of aluminium alloy may increase due to the addition of other elements to strengthen it. These elements can be more expensive and the manufacturing process may also become more complex.

5. Is there a limit to how much stronger aluminium alloy can become?

Yes, there is a limit to how much stronger aluminium alloy can become. As more elements are added to increase its strength, the alloy may become more brittle and lose its ductility, which can compromise its overall performance.