What is Supersymmetry and How is it Used in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of supersymmetry in physics. This refers to the idea that particles have partners that are heavier and have different spins. The reason for believing in this concept is due to the construction of supermultiples and its relation to group theory. A helpful introduction to supersymmetry can be found on Wikipedia.
Focus
Hello,

My first post in the forums so please excuse me if there is already a post on this (I couldn't find one).

I am not very technical in physics so can you please use simple language :shy: . I am not entirely sure on the concept of supersymmetry, I know stuff like partner of an electron is selectron and partners are always heavier, and the change of spin from an electron to a selectron is a half. The thing I am not very clear on is how/why they believe in this and also how can they predict the mass and the spin of the partners? I am assuming they just didn't randomly say selectron has 0 spin.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
In short, it comes when you build supermultiples, in the same way that for instance isospin multiplets. Group theory stuff.

Ok thanks for the help :biggrin:

1. What is supersymmetry in physics?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes a symmetry between matter particles and force-carrying particles. It suggests that every known elementary particle has a "superpartner" with different spin properties, and these superpartners could help solve some of the mysteries in particle physics.

2. What is the purpose of studying supersymmetry?

The main purpose of studying supersymmetry is to try and solve some of the major problems in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the unification of the fundamental forces. It also provides a potential candidate for dark matter, which is an elusive form of matter that makes up a large portion of the universe.

3. How is supersymmetry tested and confirmed?

Supersymmetry is currently being tested and confirmed through experiments at large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists are looking for evidence of the predicted superpartners, which would appear as new particles with specific properties that have not yet been observed.

4. What are the potential implications of discovering supersymmetry?

If supersymmetry is discovered and confirmed, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It could also provide new insights into the origins of the universe and potentially lead to the development of new technologies.

5. Are there any challenges or criticisms of supersymmetry?

Yes, there are several challenges and criticisms of supersymmetry. One of the main criticisms is that it has not yet been confirmed by experimental evidence, despite decades of research. Additionally, some scientists argue that it may be too complicated and not necessary to explain the current mysteries of particle physics.