Lennard-Jones model and Energy Conservation

In summary, the speaker has been using a simulation with the LJ model and a simplified form of the LJ potential given in Fosdick's book. They are using the velocity Verlet method and noble gases in an equilateral triangle formation. The system starts with a kinetic energy of 0 and a negative potential energy. As the atoms approach each other, the kinetic energy increases and the potential energy decreases. However, when they get too close, they repel each other and the opposite happens. The speaker suspects that the values they are using in the simulation may be the reason it is not working properly. They have heard of using conservation of energy to correct values, but believe their situation is different. They thank the other speaker for their help
onizuka
Hi,
i've been doing a simulation using LJ model, but I'm having a troublesome time on figuring out, what's happening with the energy :uhh:

This is the LJ potencial:
[tex]E = 4\epsilon\left[\left(\frac{\sigma}{R}\right)^{12} - \left(\frac{\sigma}{R}\right)^6\right][/tex]

but I've been using this simplified form given on Fosdick's book:
[tex]E = \left[\left(\frac{1}{R}\right)^{12} - \left(\frac{2}{R}\right)^6\right][/tex]

And for time integration I'm using the velocity Verlet method.

I am using noble gases only, and in this example, i have 3 atoms forming an equilaterum triangle. The system starts with KE = 0, and PE < 0.

What happens is that while the atoms approach each other, the KE increases (as one would expect), and the PE decreases (it is always a negative value, so it increases in absolute value).
When they are too close, they repel themselfs and the opposite happens.

So i have a kind-of "harmonic" motion, where the [tex]E[/tex] increases and decreases. :yuck:
To give you an idea of the values i have, i initially have an [tex]E[/tex] = -0.00051 and can go up to [tex]E[/tex] = -0.3619

My suspection of why this doesn't work migth be because of the values I'm using in the simulation. (and yes... i really don't know what is the magnitude of the SI units i am using here... much less the ones i should be using :shy: )
time step = 0.01
particle mass = 1
radius = 0.6
distance between each particle = 5

I've read that using the conservation of energy, one can do some corrections on the values obtained... but uhh, i think what i have here i something completely different.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what you described, I cannot tell whether the energy in your simulation is conserved or not. The total energy (i.e. p.e. plus k.e.) should conserve
nearly perfectly if you use a smoothing function to avoid the error caused by the potential cutoff. A classical book for learning MD simulation is Allen and Tildesley's "Computer Simulation of Liquids".

I myself tend not to use the reduced unit notation for the LJ potential because it would then create headache when you add new types of potentials such as chemical bonds, electricstatic force fields and so on. I don't think one would have a pleasant time in converting the energy of these potentials into the reduced unit, which is based solely on the LJ potential.

The Molecular Workbench software I am developing might be a useful reference for you to learn MD simulations. Check it out at: http://mw.concord.org/modeler/index.html

when i started my PhD i wrote MD code to do exactly what you describe.

you should see energy conservation to at least 4 significant figures. check to make sure that you are calculating the energy correctly first of all. also check your periodic boundaries and your verlet integrator. visualize the output to make sure that the motions of the LJ particles looks correct.

long-range corrections should make only a very small difference to the energy conservation.

also remember that you should equilibrate your system, but this still should not affect the energy conservation.

once you have it working, it is interesting to apply some stat.mech. to calculate things like g(r), velocity autocorrelation, MSD, etc. and calculate the pressure, diffusion constant, etc.

as the other poster mentioned, it is benefitial to work in reduced units. refer to the seminal paper by Tildesley and Allen (I forget which journal it was published in) where they give the equation of state and a table of parameters they used.

Last edited:

1. What is the Lennard-Jones model?

The Lennard-Jones model is a mathematical model used to describe the interactions between particles in a gas or liquid. It is based on the assumption that particles attract each other at large distances and repel each other at short distances.

2. How does the Lennard-Jones model account for energy conservation?

The Lennard-Jones model is based on the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms. In this model, the total energy of the system remains constant, as the potential energy of the particles changes with their distance and the kinetic energy of the particles changes with their speed.

3. What are the key parameters in the Lennard-Jones model?

The two key parameters in the Lennard-Jones model are the distance at which particles start to attract each other (known as the "well depth") and the distance at which particles start to repel each other (known as the "van der Waals radius"). These parameters determine the shape of the potential energy curve and the equilibrium distance between particles.

4. How does the Lennard-Jones potential energy curve relate to the behavior of particles?

The Lennard-Jones potential energy curve shows the relationship between the potential energy and the distance between two particles. As the distance between particles decreases, the potential energy becomes more negative, indicating an attractive force between the particles. As the distance increases, the potential energy becomes more positive, indicating a repulsive force between the particles. This behavior explains the behavior of particles in a gas or liquid, where they move closer together due to attractive forces, but are prevented from getting too close due to repulsive forces.

5. What are some limitations of the Lennard-Jones model?

The Lennard-Jones model is a simplified representation of the interactions between particles and has some limitations. It assumes that particles are spherical and do not have any internal structure, which may not be true for all types of particles. Additionally, it does not take into account any long-range interactions between particles, which may be significant in certain situations. It is also limited to describing systems with a small number of particles and cannot be directly applied to larger systems.