Doubt about linear functions

In summary, a linear function is defined as one that satisfies the equation f(u + v) = f(u) + f(v), but the function f(x) = ax + b, while commonly taught as linear, is actually an affine function. Both types of functions are considered linear in the context of differential equations.
pamparana

Hello,

I was going through the same problem. From what I can see on the net, one of the relations a linear function has to express is:

f(u + v) = f(u) + f(v)

Now if f(x) = ax + b is linear then

f(u + v) = a(u+v) + 2b

So f(u + v) is not equal to f(u ) + f(v).

So why is f(x) = ax + b linear as it fails this criteria?

Sorry for this stupid question...

Thanks,
Luc

Physics news on Phys.org

pamparana said:
Hello,

I was going through the same problem. From what I can see on the net, one of the relations a linear function has to express is:

f(u + v) = f(u) + f(v)

Now if f(x) = ax + b is linear then

f(u + v) = a(u+v) + 2b

So f(u + v) is not equal to f(u ) + f(v).

So why is f(x) = ax + b linear as it fails this criteria?

Sorry for this stupid question...

Thanks,
Luc

It is not a stupid question. The definition above is exactly the definition of a linear function, i.e. a function f that satisfies f( cx + y ) = c f ( x ) + f ( y ) ( note that you can pull the scalar out, so that functions of the form cx are linear )
the map f ( x ) = ax + b is taught to us in grade school as a linear function on the basis that it draws a line. Actually though, it is called an "affine function" ( it acts essentially like a linear map though, the map will satisfy all the properties if you simply translate everything by b ).
In the context of differential equations, both cases are known as "linear equations"

Likes 1 person

1. What is a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be expressed in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. It represents a straight line on a graph and follows the rule of proportionality, where the change in the dependent variable (y) is directly proportional to the change in the independent variable (x).

2. How do you determine the slope of a linear function?

The slope of a linear function can be determined by calculating the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values. This can also be represented as rise over run or the ratio of the vertical change to the horizontal change on a graph.

3. What does the y-intercept represent in a linear function?

The y-intercept represents the point where the line intersects with the y-axis on a graph. It is the value of y when x is equal to 0 and is often referred to as the starting value of the function.

4. Can a linear function have a negative slope?

Yes, a linear function can have a negative slope. This means that the line will have a downward slope from left to right on a graph. The negative slope indicates that as the x-values increase, the y-values will decrease.

5. How can linear functions be used in real-life situations?

Linear functions can be used to model real-life situations such as pricing strategies, population growth, and distance-time relationships. They can also be used to make predictions and solve problems involving rates of change and proportions.