Can Astronaut survive within solar wind?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential effects of solar wind on astronauts' nerve systems and the use of Schumann Resonance in space. There were suggestions for further research and skepticism towards the validity of such claims. Ultimately, it was concluded that there is no scientific evidence to support the use of Schumann Resonance for health benefits in space.
junk0
Solar wind contains ion charges and electromagnetic field, will Solar wind affect action potential within Astronaut's nerve system?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Biology news on Phys.org
Can Astronaut survive within solar wind?
Yes. They have.

junk0 said:
Solar wind contains ion charges and electromagnetic field, will Solar wind affect action potential within Astronaut's nerve system?
Almost certainly.

http://rpd.oxfordjournals.org/content/115/1-4/44.short

I presume all nations that intend to send astronauts on long space trips have already made tests on "volunteers"

If Solar wind can affects action potential within Astronaut's nerve system, will their muscles' reaction become slower within Solar wind? since high energetic particles will interrupt any chemical reactions for action potential within Astronaut's nerve system, so Astronaut will feel the side effect of solar wind instantly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The physical condition of early Astronauts deteriorated severely whilst in Outer Space, away from the Schumann Resonance. The problem was solved by introducing the "Schumann Simulator" into all space shuttles, a magnetic pulse generator mimicking the Earth's frequency. This demonstrates the simple fact that we cannot be healthy if disconnected from the "natural biological frequency"

Edit: another crackpot link deleted.

Does anyone have any suggestions why Astronauts use Schumann Resonance in space?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it quite incredible that a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla can have any effect on the human body that is unharmed by the 2-3 Telsa field of a MRI machine

syhprum said:
I find it quite incredible that a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla can have any effect on the human body that is unharmed by the 2-3 Telsa field of a MRI machine

Could you please tell me where you find it? I would like to know how it effects on human body with a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla. What make it good for human body in term of Biology?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions why Astronauts use Schumann Resonance in space?
I am quite sure that astronaughts use all kinds of things that have little or no scientific validity - like carrying a lucky charm, or following the tenets of some religion. "NASA does it therefore it must be valid" is a logical fallacy. The website referenced is so full of pseudoscience ("the Earth's cavity"?) it is impossible to tell where the facts end and the make-believe starts.

So, I think we'd need to see:
a. a better source (i.e. NASA) confirming the use of Schumann resonators on space shuttles
b. some peer-reviewed literature documenting the claimed effects (i.e. where did Schumann publish?*)
... before taking the ideas on that site even remotely seriously.
Could you please tell me where you find it? I would like to know how it effects on human body with a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla. What make it good for human body in term of Biology?
There is no reason to believe it [the frequency etc] has any biological effect. Remember - it is up to the people making the strange claims to support them.

It is a real phenomena which, in a misunderstood form, has been used by people making mystical claims as "scientific" support for whatever they are peddling.
When confronted by their misunderstanding, they respond with "science doesn't know everything". Basically, a lightning strike someplace on the Earth's surface sends our EM waves. Some of these waves bounce around in the atmosphere more than others. Schumann worked out which ones hung around the longest: wikipedia has a nice animation courtesy of NASA.

I think it is against the rules of the forum to promote pseudoscience, and discussing various manifestations, even with the aim of debunking them, must be handled very carefully. I'd suggest a forum like: JREF may be more appropriate?

Meantime - there are no end of popular-level resources on this thing:
eg.
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-62856.html
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread597740/pg1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

* Schumann W. O. (1952). "Über die Dämpfung der elektromagnetischen Eigenschwingnugen des Systems Erde – Luft – Ionosphäre". Zeitschrift und Naturfirschung
Nothing in there about Earth breathing or health.

Last edited:
Crackpot thread closed. Thanks to all that tried to help.

1. Can an astronaut survive in the solar wind?

Yes, an astronaut can survive in the solar wind as long as they are properly protected. The solar wind is made up of charged particles and radiation from the sun, which can be harmful to humans. However, spacecraft and spacesuits are designed with shielding and protective layers to keep astronauts safe from the solar wind.

2. How does the solar wind affect astronauts?

The solar wind can affect astronauts in a few different ways. Firstly, the charged particles in the solar wind can cause radiation exposure, which can be harmful to human health. Additionally, the solar wind can also cause electrical disturbances in spacecraft and equipment, which can potentially be dangerous. However, with proper shielding and precautions, astronauts can safely navigate through the solar wind.

3. What materials are used to protect astronauts from solar wind?

Spacesuits and spacecraft are made with a variety of materials to protect astronauts from the solar wind. These may include layers of different metals, such as aluminum or titanium, as well as specialized fabrics and polymers that can block or absorb radiation. Some spacecraft also have magnetic fields to deflect charged particles from the solar wind.

4. How long can an astronaut stay in the solar wind?

The amount of time an astronaut can spend in the solar wind depends on a variety of factors, including the level of protection provided by their spacecraft or spacesuit, the intensity of the solar wind, and the overall health of the astronaut. Typically, astronauts can safely spend a few hours in the solar wind, but extended exposure may require more advanced protection and precautions.

5. Can astronauts conduct experiments in the solar wind?

Yes, astronauts can conduct experiments in the solar wind. Many spacecraft have specialized instruments and sensors that can measure the properties of the solar wind, such as its speed, density, and magnetic fields. Additionally, astronauts can also perform experiments on how the solar wind affects different materials and objects in space.