How Do You Calculate the Change in Magnetic Field in a Coil?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the induced emf in a rectangular coil of wire with 110 turns. The equation for this relationship is mentioned and the concept of current in a wire causing a magnetic field is also brought up. The answer to the question is determined to be 110 times the magnitude of the change in magnetic flux.
tj03
I have no idea where to stat on this question.

A magnetic field is perpendicular to a 0.040 m 0.080 m rectangular coil of wire that has 110 turns. In a time of 0.040 s, an average emf of magnitude 2.0 V is induced in the coil. What is the magnitude of the change in the magnetic field?

Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation relates the change in magnetic flux to the voltage induced in a single turn of wire? The answer is just 110 times that, since the closed loop integral can follow the path of the 110 spiralling turns, and then return back down to connect to the start of the coil.

Remember, a current in a wire causes a magnetic field (see Biot-Savart), and a changing magnetic field/flux through a loop causes an induced emf or voltage (who's law?).

I would suggest starting by reviewing the basic principles of electromagnetic induction. This includes understanding the relationship between magnetic fields, changing magnetic flux, and induced emf. Once you have a clear understanding of these concepts, you can apply them to this specific scenario.

First, you can use the equation for induced emf, E = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux. Rearranging this equation, you can solve for the magnitude of the change in magnetic field, ΔB = -(E/N)(dt/dΦ).

Next, you can plug in the given values for emf, number of turns, and time to solve for the magnitude of the change in magnetic field. Make sure to pay attention to units and convert as needed.

I would also recommend drawing a diagram of the setup to help visualize the situation and better understand the relationships between the different variables.

If you are still struggling, I suggest seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor who can provide additional guidance and clarification. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to explain the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

2. Why is Physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It provides the foundation for many other sciences and technologies, such as engineering, chemistry, and astronomy. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of technology and the development of new materials.

3. What are the different branches of Physics?

There are several branches of Physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Each branch focuses on different aspects of the physical world, and they all work together to provide a comprehensive understanding of the universe.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Physics?

To improve your understanding of Physics, it is important to have a solid foundation in mathematics and to practice solving problems. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures or online courses, and conduct experiments to gain hands-on experience. Collaborating with other students and seeking help from teachers or tutors can also be beneficial.

5. What are some real-world applications of Physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, such as in the development of technology, medicine, and energy sources. It is used in fields like engineering, astronomy, and environmental science to solve practical problems and improve our daily lives. Some examples include the creation of renewable energy sources, the design of electronic devices, and the development of medical imaging techniques.