Mechanics - Elastic springs and strings

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle P attached to an elastic string, and its equilibrium length when hanging from a ceiling. It also mentions the distance and speed of P when projected downwards and the energies involved before and after the projection. The speaker suggests seeking help in the physics section for a faster solution.
mr bob
A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length L whose other end is attached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has length [itex]\frac{5l}{3}[/itex]. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed [itex]\sqrt(\frac{3gl}{2})[/itex], P will come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance [itex]\frac{10l}{3}[/itex].

I thought about working all this out by finding the energies before and after the projection.

Before:-
[itex]KE =\frac{3gl}{4}[/itex]
[itex]GPE = 0[/itex]
[itex]EPE = 0[/itex]

After:-
[itex]KE = 0[/itex]
[itex]GPE = -(y - 5/3L)g[/itex] where y is the full length of stretched string.
[itex]EPE = \frac{gl(Y- 5/3L)^2}{2L(Y- 5/3L)}[/itex]

i can't seem to get the anwer using these, are they correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This seems like more of a physics related question. I'm sure if you post it in the physics section someone would help you out a little faster. I haven't taken differential equation in awhile, but this seems like a pretty straightforward differential equation question. I could definitely be wrong though

1. How do elastic springs work?

Elastic springs work by storing mechanical energy when they are stretched or compressed. This energy is then released when the spring returns to its original shape.

2. What factors affect the elasticity of a spring?

The elasticity of a spring is affected by its material, length, and thickness. The type of forces applied to the spring, such as tension or compression, also impact its elasticity.

3. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by its displacement. It can also be determined by dividing the change in force by the change in length of the spring.

4. What is the difference between a spring and a string?

A spring is a coiled object that stores energy when stretched or compressed, while a string is a flexible material that can transmit forces. Springs are typically used to store and release energy, while strings are used to support objects or transmit forces.

5. How do elastic strings behave under different loads?

Elastic strings exhibit Hooke's law, which states that the extension of a spring is directly proportional to the applied force. This means that as the load on the string increases, the extension of the string also increases proportionally.