Every straight line has no length

In summary, the conversation is about proving that for N>=1, n infinitely long straight lines that are not parallel and have no common intersection divide the plane into (n^2+n+2)/2 parts. The base case is proven and the trick is to show that for k+1 lines, the number of parts is (k^2+3k+4)/2. This is done by assuming the statement is true for k and then showing that the difference between P(k+1) and P(k) is k+1, which proves the statement for k+1.
lemurs
ok i stuck guys here is the question.

Consideer n infinitely long straight lines. none are parrelel and no three are lines have a common intersection. show that for N>=1, the lines divide the plane into (n^2+n+2)/2.

kay I am stuck kay i now base case works.

I know that k=(k^2+k+2)/2

but how do relate that to k+1 lines... I am stuck.
I can't get them to relate for some reason.. what the trick i am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
lemurs said:
ok i stuck guys here is the question.

Consideer n infinitely long straight lines. none are parrelel and no three are lines have a common intersection. show that for N>=1, the lines divide the plane into (n^2+n+2)/2.

kay I am stuck kay i now base case works.

I know that k=(k^2+k+2)/2

but how do relate that to k+1 lines... I am stuck.
I can't get them to relate for some reason.. what the trick i am missing.

First of all, every straight line has no length. But if you pick two different points A and B on the line, then [tex]\overline{AB}[/tex] has a length.

Now, for n = 1 it is obvious that the line 'divides' the plane into two parts. Assume it's true for some k. You have to show it's true for some k+1, too. If it is, then it is true for every n. So, you have to find a way to show that for k+1, you have [tex]\frac{(k+1)^2+(k+1)+2}{2} = \frac{k^2+3k+4}{2}[/tex]. Here's a way. First, let's assume [tex]P(k) = \frac{k^2+k+2}{2}[/tex] is true for some k. Then look at the difference P(k+1) - P(k) = k+1. That means that the plane is divided into k+1 more parts than it is divided for some k. For example, if you take k = 2, and k = 3, you get that for k = 2 the plane is divided into 4 parts, and for k' = 3 it is divided into 7 parts. So, 7 - 4 = 3 = k + 1. Now, use that fact to prove the statement is true for some k+1. You have [tex]\frac{k^2+k+2}{2} + k+1 = \cdots[/tex] The rest is obvious. :smile:

ok.. but how.. not making sense. I how would I jsutiify p(k+1) - P(K). that is not as easy..

lemurs said:
ok.. but how.. not making sense. I how would I jsutiify p(k+1) - P(K). that is not as easy..

You don't have to justify it. It is not a formal part of induction. You showed that for some k+1 the statement P(k+1) holds, and that's all you need to do.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean when we say "every straight line has no length"?

When we say "every straight line has no length," we are referring to the mathematical concept that a straight line has an infinite number of points, and therefore, does not have a measurable length. This is based on the definition of a line as being a continuous, infinite set of points.

2. How can a line have no length if we can measure its distance with a ruler?

While we can use a ruler to measure the distance between two points on a line, the line itself does not have a tangible length. This is because a line is made up of an infinite number of points, and therefore, cannot be measured with a finite unit like a ruler.

3. Can a line have a length of zero?

No, a line cannot have a length of zero. As mentioned before, a line is made up of an infinite number of points, and therefore, cannot have a measurable length. A line with a length of zero would essentially be a single point, not a line.

4. Does this mean a straight line is just a concept and not a physical object?

Yes, a straight line is a mathematical concept and not a physical object. While we can draw and use straight lines in real life, they do not exist as physical objects. They are simply an abstract idea used in mathematics to represent a continuous, infinite set of points.

5. How does the concept of "every straight line has no length" relate to real-world applications?

The concept of "every straight line has no length" is essential in many fields, such as geometry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand and solve problems involving lines and their properties, such as slope and distance. For example, in construction, straight lines are used to create precise measurements and angles, even though they do not have a tangible length.