Calculating Velocity and Acceleration Along a Parabolic Path

In summary, the question is asking for the velocity and acceleration of a point A moving along a curve with the equation x = y^2/6, with a constant elevation of 3 in/s in the y direction. After solving for y and plugging in the values for x and y, it is apparent that the point takes 2 seconds to reach x = 6 in. To find the velocity and acceleration, the equations for dy/dt and d^2y/dt^2 are needed. By differentiating x = y^2/6 with respect to time, and using the chain rule, dx/dt and d^2x/dt^2 can be found in terms of dy/dt and y. These
glid02
Hey guys,

Here's the question:

A point A moves along a curve with the equation x = y^2/6 and is elevated in the y direction at a constant velocity of 3 in/s. Calculate the velocity and the acceleration when x = 6 in.

So I solved for y and y=sqrt(6*x) and when x=6 y=6.

Since the point is moving at a constant velocity of 3 in/s it takes 2 seconds to get to 6 in.

I plugged this into y=y0+vt+1/2at^2 and got a=0 which is obvious since it's moving at a constant velocity.

Here's where I'm stuck, I tried the same equation with x. I think I may be able to solve for v and a by solving the differential equation but I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do.

It seems like I'm supposed to differentiate the positions with the equation giving but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that because when differentiating y with respect to x the derivative of y=sqrt(6*x) is 0 and the derivative of x=y^2/6 is also 0.

Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a very important piece of information: dy/dt is constant...
and you are asked to find the velocity and accelaration when x = 6...
since dy/dt and d^2y/dt^2 is known( how do you get the accelaration in the y direction?)
, all you need is dx/dt, and d^2x/dt^2, right?

differentiate x=y^2/6 over t on both side... you will have dx/dt in terms of dy/dt and y...
differentiale it once more, you will get d^2x/dt^2, which is a constant...

EDIT: One more hint.. Use chain rule: [tex] \frac{dy^2}{dt} = \frac{dy^2}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt} = 2y\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

Last edited:

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving the problem so far. I can see that you have correctly solved for y and found that when x = 6, y = 6. Additionally, you have correctly calculated that the point takes 2 seconds to reach x = 6 at a constant velocity of 3 in/s. This means that the velocity at x = 6 is also 3 in/s.

Now, to find the acceleration, we need to differentiate the velocity equation with respect to time. Since we know that the velocity is constant (3 in/s), the derivative will be 0, as you have correctly pointed out. This means that the acceleration is also 0 at x = 6.

It is important to remember that in this problem, the velocity and acceleration are in the y direction, not the x direction. So, even though the point is moving along a curve in the x direction, its velocity and acceleration are only in the y direction. This is why differentiating the position equation with respect to x is not necessary.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

What is "Curvilinear Motion Calc"?

"Curvilinear Motion Calc" is a mathematical tool used to analyze the motion of objects moving along a curved path. It involves using calculus to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given point in time.

How is "Curvilinear Motion Calc" different from "Linear Motion Calc"?

The main difference between "Curvilinear Motion Calc" and "Linear Motion Calc" is that in curvilinear motion, the object follows a curved path, while in linear motion, the object moves along a straight line. This means that the equations and calculations used in each type of motion are different.

What are the key concepts in "Curvilinear Motion Calc"?

The key concepts in "Curvilinear Motion Calc" include position, velocity, and acceleration, which are all calculated using derivatives and integrals. Another important concept is the use of parametric equations to represent the motion of an object along a curved path.

What are some real-world applications of "Curvilinear Motion Calc"?

"Curvilinear Motion Calc" has many practical applications, including analyzing the motion of objects in circular motion, such as a Ferris wheel or a satellite orbiting the Earth. It is also used in physics and engineering to study the motion of projectiles, pendulums, and other objects that follow a curved path.

What skills are required to use "Curvilinear Motion Calc" effectively?

To use "Curvilinear Motion Calc" effectively, one needs a strong understanding of calculus, particularly derivatives and integrals. It is also important to have a good understanding of physics and the principles of motion. Familiarity with parametric equations and their applications is also beneficial.